Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-16-2011, 03:04 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Heating and cooling an addition

I'm converting a garage to a master bedroom. My existing heatpump does well with the existing sq footage, but won't handle another 450 sq.ft. It also is almost impossible to pipe. I'm considering one of those like they have in a hotel room. Is that the best option? I also have R-11 in the exterior walls (1996).. Is it worth going up to R-13 or R-15? There is only about 40' of exterior wall.

drakesdoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 03:30 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 276

Dont care much for the PTAC (hotel) style units. Your best bet would be a high efficiency mini split unit, they also run much quieter than the PTAC's

sammy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 06:28 PM   #3
AKA HVACTECHFW

Rewards Points: 1,002

Either a PTAC or a mini split system would be a good option. Any extra insulation is a good idea for energy conservation.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:57 PM   #4
I'm Your Huckleberry

Rewards Points: 2,204

What one sees and finds in hotel rooms are known as ptacs, Packaged Terminal Air Conditioners. Noisy as all can be.

I'd search for "hvac mini split" or "mini split air conditioner" which is pretty much a very small outside condenser with a thin copper line set from there to the inside blower which simply hangs on a wall, duct free, like a ptac but usually closer to the roof. The newer ones you can install yourself, they come pre-charged. You simply screw the lines together, thus piercing the lines as they connect, allowing the refrigerant to flow.

120 or 240 volts to the outside unit and 120 to the inside. Might need to consult an electrician for that. Some slight control wiring and that's it.

Plus you can have up to four blowers which you can mount in four different rooms or all four in one room if you wanted to, with only one outside condenser. Plus they come with remote control.

All that considered I'd go mini split.

Happy hunting and let us know.
Doc Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 05:32 AM   #5
AKA HVACTECHFW

Rewards Points: 1,002

DOC, I have never seen or installed a mini split that the lines were pieced on, or that you never had to pull a vacuum on. Are you sure?
Old 11-17-2011, 06:28 AM   #6
HVAC Tech/Owner

Rewards Points: 280

How do you know the existing heatpump won't work? Most rule of thumb sizing leads to oversized units anyway.....

I just did a load calculation on a house last month for someone finishing off a garage....just a little duct is all that is necessary and it will still be oversized.

Technow is offline   Reply With Quote