Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-20-2009, 09:14 AM   #1

Share |

heating a bathroom

Im laying out the plans for a basement remodel. I am planning on using baseboard heating for the living space in the basement but I am not sure if I should extend this to the bathroom. Also, I will be adding an A/C unit for the living space. Do I need to worry about the bathroom? It has a 12x24 casement window that can be used to let in air.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Leo

Leoskee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 09:43 AM   #2
Hvac Pro

heating a bathroom

Depends if you or the Missus like a warm hiney when you use the loo. If you plan for a shower in there a hydronic sealed baseboard electric heater is a nice idea or a heat lamp. A basic electric would get rusty/not suitable for moisture.

Last edited by yuri; 07-20-2009 at 11:58 AM.
yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 02:15 PM   #3

heating a bathroom

I guess that is why the one that is already in the basement is all rusty. The prior HO had water issues that I since remedied. Not sure what type of heat lamp you are talking about. The only ones I know are the ones you use with lizards and snakes. lol. So the hydronic sealed baseboard will not rust? Is that what you are telling me?
Old 07-20-2009, 02:42 PM   #4
Hvac Pro

heating a bathroom

The element won't rust but the housing will. I would check with an electrician to see what meets the electrical code first. A heat lamp is a large high wattage bulb in a recessed pot fixture. Once again check the code due to GFI rules etc and take out a permit for liability reasons in the future.
yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 02:51 PM   #5
Handyguy

Send a message via Skype™ to Brik

heating a bathroom

There are some under floor electric. I assume you are on a slab - You put them between the slab and the tile. They are very cozy. for you AC - You could add a supply and return or just connect the bathroom to the living space with a passive vent or just leave the door open.
Brik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 07:11 PM   #6

heating a bathroom

Im going to put a dricore subfloor down. I dont have any water issues but I figured I was better off being off of the slab. Ive seen the radiant heat elements that go under the floor but they will be expensive. Im also considering getting one of those heated toilet seats. I saw a decent one online for about $500.

Any other suggestions for heating? Im not too worried about cooling the place. Thanks.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:15 PM   #7

heating a bathroom

I put in electric radiant floor heat in my bathroom & the hallway outside the bathroom
Programmable thermostat was around $145, tile was $60 for the bath, maybe $100 for the hallway, $50 grout/floor levelling, heating wire/install setup was maybe $400
So total cost was around $900 with odds & ends
I had the tiling tools already
Its a nice setup, we use it a lot when my son takes a bath
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 12:30 AM   #8

heating a bathroom

You may want to check with your local B.D. for heating requirements in the bath. Some codes require a heat source that can supply 70* =3' above the floor. Here, the lamp or radiant in-floor would not supply that, but the baseboard would. Be a shame to have to add one later, if required when selling. The window will work for ventilation but I suggest the fan also, with a humidity auto. switch. Be safe, G

Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote