Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-26-2009, 06:22 AM   #1

Share |

Heating basement

I have a small one-room bungalow with 3000W of baseboard heating and woodstove heating. I'd like to "move" that heat to my basement. It's poured concrete with 100% R10 exterior foam and 70% R5 interior. I have considered: adding a duct with fan assist to blow air from the ceiling main floor to the basement, or adding large floor registers and trying to use my ceiling fans to circulate warm air. Does anyone have suggestions on which would be the best option, or would another approach be better?

patrick.ogrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:37 AM   #2
Hvac Pro

Heating basement

Why do you want to do this? It won't work well as hot air always rises and quickly. The cost and noise to run the fan won't pay off in $$. Get some electric heat for the basement is a better idea. Even if it did work it works out the same as you are just running the heater longer upstairs which has the same cost.

yuri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:57 AM   #3

Heating basement

I use primarily wood heat in the winter, try to keep the baseboards off as long as I can, electricity is VERY expensive in PEI. I thought it would be more economical to run a blower motor and try to force the warm air down through ducts.
patrick.ogrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 12:04 PM   #4
An old Tradesmen

Heating basement

If I was going to try and heat the basement by air exchange as you want.

I think I would install a duct that opens about 6" off the basement floor.
And then terminates just inside the first floor. Unless it can be run up a wall and concealed. Then I would run it up close to the ceiling(helps to prevent gravity cold air fall).
And use a 120, to 240 CFM fan.

Along with a duct installed near the wood stove, that started near the ceiling, and ran into the basement and terminated about 6" off the floor.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote