Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-27-2012, 11:34 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Heating attached garage?

I have an attached garage that I would like to use to work on a project car i have, I'm located in northern Ohio and would like to heat it, my house is all electric and not sure what would be a good heat source to use and be somewhat efficient the garage is fully insulated, just looking for opitions and/or suggestions thanks for your help.

Runningstang86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:36 PM   #2
Items wanted: Time

Rewards Points: 150

Heating attached garage?

Wood stove, I use it when needed, heats up quick, my garage is also insulated and the heat lingers for a few days. If Ive got a project going it's easy to keep lit.

Last edited by NiNe O; 11-27-2012 at 11:39 PM.
NiNe O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:25 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 152

Heating attached garage?

Pellet stove might be alittle more easier of an install.Bags would be more conveient to store, venting be easier to run.If you can hold off to around Feb , the big box stores mark them down in $ .Picked mine up for 500.00 new.
HVACTECH96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:52 AM   #4

Heating attached garage?

There are a variety of options that you can use to heat your garage sufficiently. However, a couple of factors will determine what exactly you need to install. How often are you planning on being in there? How quickly do you need it to be at a given temperature? And, are you willing to do prep work (wood stove) prior to the garage heating? Advertising or linking to your site in a thread is not permitted.

Last edited by beenthere; 12-10-2012 at 05:02 AM. Reason: removed web address and phone number
jnc401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:55 AM   #5

Heating attached garage?

Shame on you.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:57 AM   #6

Heating attached garage?

I have 85 dead ash trees, I'm biased
Old 11-28-2012, 08:48 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,474

Heating attached garage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runningstang86 View Post
I have an attached garage that I would like to use to work on a project car i have, I'm located in northern Ohio and would like to heat it, my house is all electric and not sure what would be a good heat source to use and be somewhat efficient the garage is fully insulated, just looking for opitions and/or suggestions thanks for your help.
Do a BTU cost comparison keeping in mind that with gas or wood some BTUs exit the flue and with electric no flue and you've already paid for the inefficiency in transmission loss. Also the best value now may change in mid winter and that's nearly impossible to predict.

The past 2 winters electric heat has been by far my most efficient heat source compared to propane gas. Now with the propane price being down I'll need to possibly adjust for this winter.

Something I would not recommend is an un-vented gas space heater of any kind although some swear by them.
SeniorSitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:26 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 250

Heating attached garage?

Personally, I wouldn't want any fire source for heat in a garage. Working on cars usually has vapors involved and can be quite dangerous. I have heat in my garage, it's electric. I still won't run it if I am playing with fuel or paint.

Last edited by Marty1Mc; 11-28-2012 at 05:05 PM. Reason: someone always plays games with the words...
Marty1Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:30 PM   #9

Heating attached garage?

Where would I use my cutting torches?
Old 11-28-2012, 04:52 PM   #10

Heating attached garage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiNe O View Post
Where would I use my cutting torches?
Do you run your cutting torches for heat? Do you run your cutting torches when you have gas vapor or are painting?
Old 11-28-2012, 04:57 PM   #11

Heating attached garage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty1Mc
Personally, I wouldn't want any fire source in a garage. Working on cars usually has vapors involved and can be quite dangerous. I have heat in my garage, it's electric. I still won't run it if I am playing with fuel or paint.
What type of electric heater are you using and did you notice a big inflation on your electrical bill? Fire and vapors was a concern of mine.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:11 PM   #12

Heating attached garage?

IMO if you, if you have enough vapors of paint and whatever, you need to open a door. BTW, why does using for heat pose more of a risk than other open flame use.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:12 PM   #13

Heating attached garage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runningstang86 View Post
What type of electric heater are you using and did you notice a big inflation on your electrical bill? Fire and vapors was a concern of mine.
I'm running one of these:
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_595_595

It is pretty adequate for here. However, I have a brick outside, R30 in the ceiling, new E coated windows and R18 garage doors. The doors seal well now so this keeps up and even can overheat the space so far. It hasn't gotten brutally cold.

Before I put in the new doors, air intrusion sapped the heat right out of the garage. I had to run this plus two 1500 watt floor heaters just to keep from freezing.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:15 PM   #14

Heating attached garage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiNe O View Post
IMO if you, if you have enough vapors of paint and whatever, you need to open a door. BTW, why does using for heat pose more of a risk than other open flame use.
Heat runs more often and triggers itself. If you have vapors escape like a fuel injection line spew some gas, you better get to the box and turn off the heat. You can simply not light the torch.

When I lived at home some 35 yrs ago we had a gas heater installed in our garage. The fire marshall made us pull it due to fire hazard. It was nice and toasty in there until he showed up.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:40 AM   #15

Heating attached garage?

What kind of electrical heater would you guys recommend ( space heaters, baseboard, ect) Just trying to weigh out my options, or a ventless heater using propain?