DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   HVAC (
-   -   Heating above a garage (

Brian D 01-24-2010 07:46 AM

Heating above a garage
I'm building a addition on my pole barn with an apartment on top. I would like some advise on what kind of heating system for the apartment. I will not be heating the lower portion. If I use forced air or hot water how do i insulate the runs or pipes?

sarlaud 01-24-2010 04:44 PM

Barn heating
Need more info on this one! How big an area is it? Does it have insulation? How much? Is this a stand alone structure. What heat is in your residence near this structure?

Brian D 01-25-2010 04:15 AM

960 sf ,it is a stand alone and my house is across the road. I'm thinking of spray foam for the upstairs walls fiberglass for the ceiling and the underside of the upstairs floor.

beenthere 01-25-2010 05:12 AM

Got gas?

Depending on electric rates. A heat pump would be good also.

Might want to consider spray foam for the floor and ceiling also.
Will keep both the heating and cooling load down.

sarlaud 01-25-2010 06:21 AM

I agree with "beenthere" if gas is not available! If insulation is top notch a heat pump may be a good choice in therory! My concern is on cold northeast days if the heat pump has enough heat available from outside air! If the unit has aux electric heat backup that would be best case scenario! If you have gas available or get propane you could go with a ranai heater! Very good choice also.

Brian D 01-27-2010 05:53 PM

I'm thinking if I spend the money on spray foam insulation throughout then I can install electric base board for the ease of installation and cost then supplement with a pellet stove.

beenthere 01-27-2010 05:57 PM

If you spray foam through out. You will need an HRV probably, and then need to have the wood stove have its own combustion air intake.

Spray foam saves you lots on your heating or cooling bill. But you need to address fresh air needs then.

Brian D 01-27-2010 06:11 PM

What if I use fiberglass in the ceiling do I need HRV? I think then it would breath enough for the pellet stove not to have a CAI.

beenthere 01-27-2010 06:17 PM

Breath more. But still probably need a combustion air intake for the stove.
Also. Will need a humidifier, If it did leak enough mot to need a combustion air intake. or your humidity could be below 10%.

Sealing the room with spray foam is teh right thing to do. Then a good wood stove with a direct combustion air intake.

Cuts down on wood use. And electric for heat when your not burning wood.

You can save a few pennies today. And throw quarters out the window every day for however long you own the place. or, spend a few pennies today. And save dollars everyday.

Brian D 01-27-2010 06:26 PM

Spray foam everything sounds worth it. Most of the pellet stove come with combustible air intake kits, well the better ones like Harmen. Thanks for your input.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:24 PM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1