Heating - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-25-2014, 07:33 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

heating

I had a new a/c and heating unit installed in my home in may .I had to turn on heater since it had gotten cold, the unit is constantly turning on and off .I have had outragous entergy bills the last two months ,I have sealed all doors and windowand have checked every where no leaks .I am baffled why the unit is running so much and the house is still chilly can anyone help .Its a 3.5 ton unit in a 1600 sf house they put all new duct work can that be the problem ?I have checked for leaks in the attic can see nothing visiable .

Advertisement

susan g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 08:23 AM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,262

heating

Ayuh,.... Considerin' it's been record Cold the last couple months, I'd blame it on Mother Nature,...

Advertisement

Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 08:36 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 143

heating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondo View Post
Ayuh,.... Considerin' it's been record Cold the last couple months, I'd blame it on Mother Nature,...

Or it could be the same as mine, grossly oversized. We were down to -15 a week or so back and my 80K 92% was cycling on and off. If it was sized right it should have been running almost continuously. Predicting almost -20F Monday night and I'll bet it will be cycling again.

Anyone know a good way to determine the correct size for a replacement furnace based on data? I've been trending my supply and return temps, the outdoor air temps and furnace fan status for a while now. I'll be getting a new one pretty soon and would like to get it sized correctly. Not based on a rule of thumb, and then doubled for safety!

But anyway, what type of heat do you have?

Last edited by 52Caddy; 01-25-2014 at 08:58 AM.
52Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 08:58 AM   #4

heating

My home is all electric .I have long runs on some of the duct work that was installed
Old 01-25-2014, 09:01 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 350

heating

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52Caddy View Post

Anyone know a good way to determine the correct size for a replacement furnace based on data? I've been trending my supply and return temps, the outdoor air temps and furnace fan status for a while now. I'll be getting a new one pretty soon and would like to get it sized correctly. Not based on a rule of thumb, and then doubled for safety!
Have someone come out and do a Manual J load calculation. Or you can go to one of the online sites and hope that you filled it out correctly.
chitownken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 10:06 AM   #6
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 714

heating

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan g View Post
I had a new a/c and heating unit installed in my home in may .I had to turn on heater since it had gotten cold, the unit is constantly turning on and off .I have had outragous entergy bills the last two months ,I have sealed all doors and windowand have checked every where no leaks .I am baffled why the unit is running so much and the house is still chilly can anyone help .Its a 3.5 ton unit in a 1600 sf house they put all new duct work can that be the problem ?I have checked for leaks in the attic can see nothing visiable .
If there is a leak on the return duct it may be sucking in cold air from the attic. May have to look closer or get the installer to do so.
Old 01-25-2014, 10:20 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,680

heating

is there a register close to the thermostat ?
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 10:34 AM   #8

heating

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownken View Post
Have someone come out and do a Manual J load calculation. Or you can go to one of the online sites and hope that you filled it out correctly.
Where might i find j load calculation
Old 01-25-2014, 11:27 AM   #9
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 714

heating

here...

http://www.hvaccomputer.com/gtarget1...Fe4-MgodPF4AoQ
Old 01-25-2014, 01:29 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 25

heating

May be as simple as setting up the proper blower speed- or could be oversized. Regardless you should contact the installation company to have them look at it before you run into even worse problems resulting from what you are experiencing right now. I would think it would be covered under parts and labor warranty if it was installed in may. Even if there is nothing wrong and it is due to the extra cold we have had this year (however doubtful) I would think it would be worth the service call charge for piece of mind
Gene S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 01:31 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 25

heating

Keep in mind you personally trying to adjust anything or having someone other than the installer work on it could and probably would void any labor warranty. Call the installer!
Gene S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 03:30 PM   #12
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,472

heating

Do you ever set the thermostat back, and then turn it up later, or use programmed set backs. if so, stop doing that. it causes the aux heat to come on whether needed or not.

Advertisement