DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Heatilator Direct Vent Gas Valve Problem

3K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  emarshbuck 
#1 ·
Customer's Heatilator model GCDC60 worked fine for 11 years. A couple of months back it started not turning on by the wall thermostat. Then it wouldn't turn off unless customer turned the Robershaw 7000 gas valve control to "off". I have disengaged wall thermostat, and it stil won't turn off unless I disconnect one of the two thermostat wires from the control valve, even though the wall thermostat is off and it's two connecting wires aren't touching! Pilot lite is on, thermopile must be working, because the main burner continues working after it starts up, then the fan blower motor kicks in when it's supposed to start distributing hot air into the room.

Suggestions?

:help:

#3 ·
Case Closed!

Dave,

That's exactly the problem! Somehow the bell wire from the thermostat to the fireplace shorted, and when I jumpered the gas valve with a simple switch, eureka, there she blows!

Now I just have to figure out how to thread a new wire from one wall of the room over to the fireplace. Might be able to go through the basement.

Thanks for you quick simple suggestion! Save me a $ 150 service call.

Ed Marshall
Akron, OH:thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.