Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-02-2008, 09:47 AM   #1

Share |

heater sizing

Well I have a Janitrol A36-10 electric furnace. here in Texas where it does not really get below 20F. We're new to this house but we did have all the ducts sealed up when we moved in...courtesy of the city. Not sure why but they went door to doo and did it for free.

My problem is that the heater runs all night long to try and keep the house at 70F. Heat out is decent just not enough to warm all the rooms. Contractor says both of the 5kw strips are working fine and I need to upgrade to a 15kw setup. So add another strip and bigger breaker.

Just wondering if this sounds right for a 2000sq/ft house? Living room does have a full length window. Do I need 15kw of heating capability? Contractor works for my home warranty company and I've already had them dodge paying for several repairs.

Looks easy enough to install an additional strip and larger breaker. I'm not an electrician but I work on Extremely High Voltage equipment as a job.

Just trying to make sure what size I need.

Thanks!

jren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 11:08 PM   #2
Union HVAC Tech.

heater sizing

Would you do your own appendectomy?

bigMikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 12:51 AM   #3

heater sizing

Sure with the proper training I know I could do it.

No offense to your profession but installing a heat strip and an 80Amp breaker is not exactly outside of the realm of the DIY'er and certainly not as involved as an appendectomy. Considering I work on High Voltage equipment for a living the correct analogy would be like asking a vascular surgeon if he'd perform an appendectomy. Sure he does not normally do them but certainly has the skills to do one with a little guidance.

Tonight I installed a resonator cavity on a 5.6Million Volt Particle Accelerator. I'm reasonably certain I can swing the heat strip considering we wire them to heat our forelines(pipes) all the time. Also taking in to consideration the furnace already has room built in to just install the strip and plug it in. I'm 100% sure I could do a better job than this particular "Pro" the insurance company sent over to inspect my system.

Now any real help on general guidelines for what size heater is needed for a 2000sq home? I found the formula's for heat loss but really don't want to spend the time measuring every window if I can get some rough idea's from some of the more friendly listers.

Thanks though...I sure appreciate your concern.
jren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 05:54 AM   #4
Union HVAC Tech.

heater sizing

Quote:
Originally Posted by jren View Post
Sure with the proper training I know I could do it.

No offense to your profession but installing a heat strip and an 80Amp breaker is not exactly outside of the realm of the DIY'er and certainly not as involved as an appendectomy. Considering I work on High Voltage equipment for a living the correct analogy would be like asking a vascular surgeon if he'd perform an appendectomy. Sure he does not normally do them but certainly has the skills to do one with a little guidance.

Tonight I installed a resonator cavity on a 5.6Million Volt Particle Accelerator. I'm reasonably certain I can swing the heat strip considering we wire them to heat our forelines(pipes) all the time. Also taking in to consideration the furnace already has room built in to just install the strip and plug it in. I'm 100% sure I could do a better job than this particular "Pro" the insurance company sent over to inspect my system.

Now any real help on general guidelines for what size heater is needed for a 2000sq home? I found the formula's for heat loss but really don't want to spend the time measuring every window if I can get some rough idea's from some of the more friendly listers.

Thanks though...I sure appreciate your concern.

If the brain surgeon asked a forum of other Dr.s how big the appendix was, I'd be just as concerned.

Working on electronic equipment puts you no closer to an electrical license than a roofer or bricklayer, or which I wouldn't expect them to install rack heat either.
bigMikeB is offline   Reply With Quote