Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-08-2010, 06:30 PM   #1

Share |
Angry

Heater Problem (Goodman)

Hi,

I bought a house that was two year old in 2005 and it came with Goodman heater and AC (GMT045-3A). It worked fine until now but it suddenly stopped working last week.

When we turn the heater on it makes loud continuous noise (like a mixer/grinder). It is much louder noise than the other one that I have right next to it, for the first floor. It does that for a minute or so then shuts down for 30 seconds, repeats the same thing again 3-4 times and then shuts down.

I opened the front panel to see what is happening and it appears that the gas does not get ignited when the motor is spinning. It appears to me that there could be two different problems: 1. something could be wrong with the motor 2. may be there is something to ignite the gas that is not doing its job.

I went to the company website but they do not have this model listed over there - probably it is outdated or something like that. Please let me know what could be wrong with the heater and what is the best way to get it resolved.

Any help is really appreciated.

Thanks
David

decastod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 06:33 PM   #2
Hvac Pro

Heater Problem (Goodman)

Post some pics of it with the front doors off. If it has a metal pipe from the top of it to a chimney, remove that pipe at the top of the furnace and look inside for a dead bird, no joke. It may be jamming your inducer fan and making that noise.

Old 02-09-2010, 08:18 PM   #3

Heater Problem (Goodman)

Yuri,

I was going to post some pics but it was little dark in there.

But anyways I was really hoping to find dead something so that I can remove it and be done with it. But as there was nothing in the metal pipe from the heater to the chimney. While I had it opened I plugged in the motor to see if it still makes noise - and it did. Even when there was nothing attached to it when I started the motor it made exact same kind of noise.
Do you think its the motor that I need to replace ? should that fix the problem ?

I have put it all back together, but any ideas/suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,
David
Old 02-09-2010, 08:29 PM   #4
Hvac Pro

Heater Problem (Goodman)

Could be a bad motor but you need to look closely in the bottom of the inducer housing by shining a flashlight from the top again or removing it. Remove it and then you have to repair/replace the gasket or get a Pro to do it or use red RTV silicone or get a Pro for safety reasons. The small sparrows get roasted, fall apart and you may have bird bits still stuck in there. Not joking but it really happens. Pulled 3 of them out of an inducer once. If you have large trees near the house that can be a problem as they perch there and on the chimney and can get gassed and fall in. Some modern B Vent chimneys are approved for a bird proof screen type cap, consult a licensed chimney repair/installer.
Old 02-13-2010, 04:24 PM   #5

Heater Problem (Goodman)

Hi Yuri,

Here is the thing... The motor that I was talking about is perfect and working fine. I removed both the parts and put it on my other heater and it ran just fine without any issues. Here are the two parts that I tested individually.

The noise that comes from the inducer motor is not really a issue. The Pressure switch is also working fine.. I still dont understand why everything else starts but the flame does not ignite. Is there any switch/fuse that I can check ? please let me know.

MPL-9300-V-0.60

jakel 119276-00

Please wait
Image not available
Old 03-10-2010, 08:51 PM   #6

Heater Problem (Goodman)

Hi David,
Don't know if you're still looking for an answer, but I've just gotten back from checking a friends Goodman GMT070-3A. His Jakel 119276-00 induction fan just hums so I got here looking for a replacement.
The gas uses and igniter that normally has two white wires going to the connector usually a few inches from the combustion chamber. Look at the burners and see if there is a grayish black "ignitor" in there (this glows red hot with current to ignite gas). Sounds like you know how to check electrical stuff so if the ignitor isn't broken do your diagnostics.
Allengator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 12:22 PM   #7
HVAC Tech

Heater Problem (Goodman)

But to check the ignitor on the newer Goodmans, you will need to check them with an ohm meter. I've pulled a few of them out and they visually look fine, but they don't have any resistance. The newer ignitors are two very narrow strips, and can be expensive. For a DIY'er, you may not even be able to find one for sale retail. We only have one supply house here in town that carries them, and they WILL NOT sell to the public.

A2Mich is offline   Reply With Quote