Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-22-2012, 02:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Heater Pilot keeps going out.

I bought a gas heater 2 months back for my room. In our area the gas pressure fluctuates throughout the day, what this fluctuation does is make the pilot flame jump up and down a centimeter or two. Because of this the heater goes out every hour or so. The only way I found to fix it was to close the air valve of the pilot which turns the crisp thin blue flame into a thick yellow flame. I had it like that for a few days but had to open the valve because of carbon monoxide concerns. Has anyone ever encountered this problem and can share a solution or two for this? Thanks

executionist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 03:03 PM   #2
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 2,380

Get the gas co to fix the pressure fluctuating problem. That should never be happening in the first place unless their meter or regulator is failing. Is this happening to the neighbors or how do you know this? Is this a wall unit? You will get CO poisioning from a yellow flame so don't fool around with it.

Old 12-22-2012, 03:12 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuri View Post
Get the gas co to fix the pressure fluctuating problem. That should never be happening in the first place unless their meter or regulator is failing. Is this happening to the neighbors or how do you know this? Is this a wall unit? You will get CO poisioning from a yellow flame so don't fool around with it.
Our city has been having pressure problems the last couple of years. The fluctuations can be seen during peak/off peak usage times. I am not sure this fluctuations is what causes the flame to jump up, because it will jump even when the pressure seems stable. The heater is a wall unit properly vented out. Is the yellow flame still as bad if the unit is vented outside?
executionist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 03:36 PM   #4
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 2,380

yellow flames are VERY bad as they are a carbonizing (candle flame which produces soot) which will carbon up/plug up the inside of the heater. not sure what your solution is as I don't see those heaters except on TV and once in a no tell motel room.
Old 12-22-2012, 03:49 PM   #5
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,030

No Tell Mo-Tell? Like in "Third rate romance, low rent rendezvous" by the Amazing Rhythm Aces?

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote