Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-22-2011, 12:44 PM   #1

Share |

Heat working downstairs, but not upstairs, though fan comes on.

I am renting the top floor of a house, while someone else is renting the bottom floor.

For the bottom floor, the furnace works as it should. When it gets cold enough, the furnace turns the fan on and gas starts burning; hot air comes out of the vents.

For the top floor, when the room temperature is below the desired temperature(as set on my thermostat), the furnace comes on and air starts blowing out all of the vents. However, the air never gets warm.

Here is some back story. In a previous winter, the heat upstairs worked. It seemed to work a bit too well, in that it would get really hot, despite the lower setting on our thermostat. I suspect our thermostat had no effect back then. After that winter, the downstairs people moved out, and new ones moved in. This year, the furnace was not working for either of us. So my father(who is great with electronics, but not a master of furnaces), came over and had a look. He found this remote thermostat and receiver, which no longer worked. After removing it, he was able to hook up the wall thermostat for the downstairs, which fixed their problem. But he noticed the wires to the upstairs thermostat were cut, several feet from where they needed to be, so we called it a night. A few days later he came back with some wire and his soldering iron. We found 4 wires that went into the furnace: green, black, white, and red. Through experimentation, we found that: red & white made the downstairs come on(with heat), red & green made the upstairs come on(with NO heat), and red & black blew the fuse. The board on the furnace claimed that black was common, but it did nothing when paired with green or white. So it seems that red is common. He wired with that assumption, bringing us to the situation mentioned above.

Will someone please tell me what might be the cause of the upstairs not getting heat? Even though the fan turns on, while separately the downstairs gets fan & heat.
Mister M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 12:54 PM   #2
I'm Your Huckleberry

One system for both up and down, zoned, or two individaul systems?

Do the furnace(s) in question have control boards, gas or electric?

Red is power (hooked to "R" terminal at control board and stat), white is heat (hooked to "W" on both) green is fan (hooked to "G" on both). The only place that should have a common is on the control board to bring on the condenser (outside unit) in cooling mode unless of course you have a digital stat which requires a common. Some do, some don't.

r-power
w-heat
g-fan
and blue or yellow for cooling at stat which I'm assuming is the black.

the terminal for cooling is labeled "Y".
Doc Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 01:38 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
One system for both up and down, zoned, or two individaul systems?
I do not know. If there is a way I can tell by looking, please let me know.

There is 1 furnace and it uses gas. On the furnace is an electrical board; there is a place on it where the colored wires I mentioned take up 4 of 5 spots. 4 of the spots have a single letter beside them, such as R. One spot says "COMM", with a bit more text, which I can not remember(I don't have access to the furnace right now); the black wire is going into this spot.

Thank you for your reply.
Mister M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 03:26 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

If this is a rental, why isn't the landlord taking care of the problem.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!
: So what'll happen?
: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 03:28 PM   #5
I'm Your Huckleberry

You said one furnace with a board ON the furnace, not IN the furnace. This leads me to believe that you have a zoned system. What this is is more than one thermostat controlling one system, heating or cooling each zone, zone being where each thermostat is located. If one stat calls for heat than air will flow only to that zone. Dampers in each zone's main trunk line open and close with the desired set point of stat meaning if a stat is calling the damper will open and allow air to flow to said zone. If stat is not calling then the damper remains closed.

Take some pictures of it all so we can better understand and help. All wiring in stat, the wiring of the board(s) in and on the furnace, etc...
Old 11-22-2011, 04:15 PM   #6
HVAC Tech/Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
If this is a rental, why isn't the landlord taking care of the problem.
I agree....the landlord is responsible to fix it.......

Take some pictures of it all so we can better understand and help. All wiring in stat, the wiring of the board(s) in and on the furnace, etc...[/quote]

If this is indeed rental property, the tenant should not touch anything..... I have done work for landlords in the past and almost everyone of them is looking for a reason to backcharge and keep the security deposit....

I dropped a "landlord" last summer because he wanted me to write on the ticket it was the tenants fault......the tenant was only going into the attic to change the filter and (might have) bumped one of the many splices in the thermostat wire that should have been replaced years ago....I wouldn't do it.

Last edited by Technow; 11-22-2011 at 04:21 PM.
Technow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 04:22 PM   #7
I'm Your Huckleberry

Too late, his father has already messed around. Pictures will not hurt anything and if the landlord calls out a tech then the info we provide will give the tenant some insight. He can always talk to the tech and tell him what we said. Doesn't neccassarily mean he has to touch anything although and again, it's too late for that.

Plus I'd like to know what is going on.
Old 11-22-2011, 04:35 PM   #8
HVAC Tech/Owner

I have to quit responding to posts while I am watching Judge Judy

but it would be in the best interest of the tenant to NOT speak...other than demanding to the landlord that they are COLD...

Last edited by Technow; 11-22-2011 at 04:39 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Technow For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (11-22-2011)
Old 11-22-2011, 04:40 PM   #9
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technow View Post
I have to quit responding to posts while I am watching Judge Judy

but it would not be in the best interest of the tenant to NOT speak...other than demanding to the landlord that they are COLD...
Or contacting their local tenant rights group, or public health department.

: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button?
: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!
: So what'll happen?
: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 04:46 PM   #10
I'm Your Huckleberry

I've always liked Judge Alex.

I'm a tenant and my landlord either takes forever to have something done or when he does it himself he does it illegally. A gfci receptacle on the kitchen counter went out. A week later he put in a regular, used receptacle. I told him it was illegal (counter top areas where water is present require ground fault indicators) and he said he'd change it but it's been a month now.

Now if I were to wet my finger and plug something in and get hit than I'd be the winner of a lawsuit. Hmmmmm....

A receptacle went bad in the master bedroom and took out the entire rooms power. Two weeks for that to be fixed and by a non licensed electrician to boot.

I cleaned up the a/c by cleaning both coils, patching up a lot of air leaks and mounting the stat which was hanging loose and all without his knowledge.

DoOd is a putz at best.

Last edited by Doc Holliday; 11-22-2011 at 04:49 PM.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:08 PM   #11
HVAC Tech/Owner

Quote:
I've always liked Judge Alex.

I'm a tenant and my landlord either takes forever to have something done or when he does it himself he does it illegally. A gfci receptacle on the kitchen counter went out. A week later he put in a regular, used receptacle. I told him it was illegal (counter top areas where water is present require ground fault indicators) and he said he'd change it but it's been a month now.

Now if I were to wet my finger and plug something in and get hit than I'd be the winner of a lawsuit. Hmmmmm....

A receptacle went bad in the master bedroom and took out the entire rooms power. Two weeks for that to be fixed and by a non licensed electrician to boot.

I cleaned up the a/c by cleaning both coils, patching up a lot of air leaks and mounting the stat which was hanging loose and all without his knowledge.

DoOd is a putz at best.

I rented a house 4 years ago for 10 months.....I fixed and tuned the ac while I was there....nobody but me and the billions of people who read this post will ever know I even removed the hard start kit when I left....Because if someone is so cheap to use some hack and put a recip on a non-bleed TXV, I'm not leaving it!
Old 11-22-2011, 05:26 PM   #12
HVAC Tech/Owner

....if only I could have figured out how to put the 1/2" of crud back on the evap. coil.....
Old 11-22-2011, 05:34 PM   #13
I'm Your Huckleberry

Oh, when I move I'm making sure the next renters get a brand new system.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:56 PM   #14
HVAC Tech/Owner

Quote:
Oh, when I move I'm making sure the next renters get a brand new system.
In my case.....the owner was moving back in.....
Old 11-22-2011, 06:00 PM   #15
I'm Your Huckleberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technow View Post
In my case.....the owner was moving back in.....

I just want to know that the guy is spending some money out of his own pocket. A used receptacle? On my kitchen counter? Come on now, that's like someones' dirty undies.