Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-16-2008, 06:23 PM   #1

Share |

heat vent locations?

I would like to run some heat vents and cold air returns in my basement that i am finishing. There will be a full bathroom, bedroom, and large family room. What are the general rules or theories on where to place heat vents and cold air returns? Any advice or books or articles online to read would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

ponch37300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 07:37 PM   #2

heat vent locations?

Rule of thumb is supplies are run to the outside walls and return on inside walls. Many years ago the theory was reversed, but discovered they were pulling cold air in thru the walls with the return on outside wall.

sgthvac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 08:00 PM   #3

heat vent locations?

Is there a rule to how high to put vents/returns? I've seen some higher on the walls and some lower? Is there a formula to determine how many vents for a certain sq ft room and what size piping to run? Thanks again for your help.
Old 02-16-2008, 08:10 PM   #4

heat vent locations?

I'm not sure about sizing duct, I'm a repair guy. You can try google search for duct sizing and layout though. Location of duct is if supply is on ceiling return is low on the wall and vice a versa.
Old 02-18-2008, 07:40 PM   #5

heat vent locations?

I would like to know the answer to the sizing of the duct/ # per sq ft also. My basement is finished (not by me) and I can't stand it. the Basement only has 4 vents, 1 in a small bathroom (mounted from roof), another in a small bedroom 10 ft X 11ft, located so close to main duct off furnace that is blows like crazy, room overheats all the time. Bedroom door is closed all the time. That leaves 2 vents to heat the remainer of basement, it is quite cold. Unfortunately the cold air return also is from the ceiling, same as the the source.

I'm a newbie and not a pro, I'd put the largest diametre duct I could. That way if it gets too hot you can close off partially using the radiator covers. Mine are 6" and I want bigger ones/ more, anything to give more heat down there, but the ceiling is complete. I don't know that bigger ducts would be better, but certainly can't be worse.
CamL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 08:05 PM   #6

heat vent locations?

“I'd put the largest diameter duct I could. That way if it gets too hot you can close off partially using the radiator covers. Mine are 6" and I want bigger ones/ more, anything to give more heat down there, but the ceiling is complete. I don't know that bigger ducts would be better, but certainly can't be worse.” I’m not sure if you are answering or asking question yourself!
gena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 08:21 PM   #7

heat vent locations?

I don't know the answer the fellow requested, nobody has answered the question, but I do know that I have the same set up as he's building, except it's complete. The DIYer before me used 2 6 inch ducts to heat the family room, and it is very insufficent. Conseqently, It will be quite costly for me to fix the choice made before my time. My answer is if you're in doubt about the number or size provide several/biggest, because you can close them, but you can't open a duct that doesn't exist.

I hope the poster finds my reply useful, and if not, the advice was free. I'm confident he will find my post more useful than your critisism of mine.
CamL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 09:01 PM   #8

heat vent locations?

Well, I’m actually didn’t criticized you. It’s just looks like you started with a question yourself and ends up with a suggestion. Look, it’s very difficult to suggest anything in this case because at first he should to calculate the load, but if you even set it aside, we don’t know how big is the basement, is it walkout basement or not and so on, and your advise to use bigger size ducts than necessary unfortunately didn’t do any good.
gena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 09:20 PM   #9

heat vent locations?

6" pipe =100cfm this is based on metal not flex
7"=150cfm
8"=200
and so on
Insulated flex normally have to go to the next size bigger because of friction will cause loss of cfm's
Old 02-19-2008, 11:04 AM   #10

heat vent locations?

Thanks everyone, any advice is helpful to me since i really don't know much at all about hvac. The basement is not a walk out, it is about 1000 sq ft broken up into 4 rooms. The first is the utility closet, furnace and water heater will be in there and it will be about 10'x10'. Next is a bathroom, probably end up being 10'x12'(it will have a bath fan/vent if this matters at all). Then a bedroom that will be about 18'x12'(it will have an egress window in it if this makes a difference for heating). The last room will be a family room that will be about 40'x 15'. Hopefully this info helps. How do i calculate the load? You gave the cfm for the different size pipes, how do i calculate the cfm i need for each room? Do i find the cubic feet for each room. I just need to know where to start with this, i don't know what calculations i need to do or what there answers will mean. i have done a ton of searching but found nothing on how to calculate the size and number of vents/returns. Thanks for any advice on getting started figuring this out. Also if anyone can recomend any books or links of things to read about doing this i would be interested. Thanks again