Heat It Up - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-04-2006, 07:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

heat it up

Hey there everyone. This is my first post. It's not very exciting but here it goes.

Anybody know offhand how long it should take (assume normal insulation) to heat a house of 2000 sq. ft.? We are starting at 39 degrees and it's probably around 25 degrees outside. I turned my furnace on, set it to 62, and i'm seeing 1-2 degrees per hour for the first hour, then it jumped up to 4 degrees per hour for the second hour. I'm now half-way through the third hour. I'm thinking I need to find better things to do with my time, but I'm curious because I did some extra winterizing around the house, had the blower cleaned, and my air ducts cleaned and sealed - and am curious if I will notice any differences.

Unfortunately I don't know how long it's supposed to take to heat a properly insulated house of 2000 sq. ft. from 39 - 62 with an outside temp of 25, maybe down a little more, so I don't know how my house stacks up. I don't think my house is quite "properly insulated", as an addition was put on 12 years ago before I owned the house, and some corners were cut when they did the job. I have half of the attic to insulate still.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. My old thermal dynamics textbook was lost in a terrible fire, or I would figure this out myself....NOT!

Advertisement

Last edited by scottydel; 12-04-2006 at 07:43 PM.
scottydel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 03:41 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

heat it up

Well, I see the need to know about the efficacy of the expenses that you have incurred.

Somebody may have some tables about how long does it take to heat a 2000 square foot home.

However there are many variables to be considered. The size of your furnace for example. (I assume that you have not taken measurements before the improvements which would have given you a base to compare to) Or.... how high was the temperature outside after the second hour, or how windy the day was, or how many times the front door was opened and for how long, etc, etc.

Your approach is a great way to learn how long does it take to heat your home to your selected temperature so you could turn the heather on ahead of time to get to the desired temp before your required time.

To measure an ACTUAL cost reduction in heating bills, one needs a much larger sample size, because of the additional variables, another example ...... this winter could be milder than last winter or ....your brother in law just moved in and he likes to sleep with the windows open.....

Your improvements are likely to reduce heating costs, however to quantify that you may need to spend more time, money and energy than the actual savings.....

Just my two cents..... Abel

Advertisement

Capaz is offline   Reply With Quote