DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

heat pumps not working right

1K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  beenthere 
#1 ·
Need some help please, I have moved into a house that is about 10-year-old. The A/C seemed to work fine but I have tried the heat and it’s not working right. Here what it’s doing. When I turn the thermostat to 72 the heat pump will turn on outside. I go upstairs and removed to furnace cover and can feel the heat off the coils. But after maybe 10 minutes the outside unit turns off and the aux turns on. Now when the thermostats get to the set temp the heat turns off but the blower fan won't. I can get the fan to stop blowing by turning the temp down by 1 degree. I have two units and both act the same. Anyone have an idea what to check also both Thermostat have the check light flashing.

E1RE036S06G
E1RE042S06G
F2RP036H06G
F2RP042H06G
Robertshaw thermostat 9620
Robertshaw thermostat 9620

#6 ·
May be a thermostat issue.

Next time it happens. Turn the breaker to the air handler off. Wait a few seconds, turn it back on. See if heat pump starts again in 5 minutes.

#7 ·
I've removed the brown and red wire from the thermostat and jumped them together and the heat pump turned on but shut off after some time. Found this on the defrost board.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.