Heat Pump Troubleshooting - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-21-2013, 06:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

Heat pump troubleshooting

Amid a week of up and down temps, my heat pump is suddenly acting up. The indoor and outdoor fans are running and the compressor is running. It was about 80 two days ago so I went to turn the AC on but I was not feeling much if any cool air coming out of the vents and now since it dropped into the 40's last night I tried the heat and again, not much if any heat is coming out. I have always used the really cheap filters and changed them regularly but a few months ago I started using a higher density pleated filter. I have heard that they can reduce the air flow to the air handler and combined with a dirty coil in the AH could be the culprit. So where do I start looking for answers?

Thanks in advance

Advertisement

MisterSteve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:57 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

Remove the filter and turn the system on and test it. If air blows out, then it's the filter. Turn it back off and go get yourself some new filters!

Advertisement

av-geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:43 AM   #3

I failed to mention that air is coming out of the vents its just neither hot or cold. Feels room temp. I had a look at the capacitor and it has a thick and tacky substance running down from the top. No bulging or other noticeable damage. Could a weak capacitor have anything to do with my problem even if both fans and compressor are running?
Old 04-22-2013, 10:46 AM   #4

Capacitor
Attached Thumbnails
Heat pump troubleshooting-img_20130421_185252.jpg  
Old 04-22-2013, 11:08 AM   #5
I'm Your Huckleberry

Rewards Points: 2,220

the inside blower motor also has a capacitor. if that goes there will be no air flow but if on heating mode the furnace should trip out on high limit.

is the inside blower motor running?
Old 04-22-2013, 11:39 AM   #6

Yes the air handler blower is running. Air is coming out of the vents. I'm just trying to narrow this down to whether or not it could be something electrical failing. This all happened somewhat suddenly so I have a feeling I'm low on refrigerant now. My guess is the filter drier has sprung a leak. Today or tomorrow I'm going to try and clean both coils and put a cheap spun filter in and see if that makes any difference because yesterday in heating mode, the discharge line was getting hot but I still couldn't feel any heat from the vents after 20 minutes running. Will the discharge line still get hot even if the refrigerant is low?
Old 04-22-2013, 12:02 PM   #7
I'm Your Huckleberry

Rewards Points: 2,220

a heat pump in heating mode runs the refrigerant backwards, thus the discharge is now the suction and vice versa, but yes it can still become warm to the touch.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:25 PM   #8

The Run capacitor on the interior blower could also be at fault. If it has failed, the blower may run, but it will not be running at full speed. If that exterior capacitor has failed, the fan on the outdoor unit may be running, but the compressor may not be. Based on your findings, this could possibly be it. Everything will sound like it's operating but the compressor won't be. You should hear a humming noise coming from the bottom of the unit. Also, if you can safely reach the compressor while the unit is running by removing a cover or access panel, try and feel the compressor. It should be warm to the touch, and humming or vibrating while it's running.
av-geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:03 AM   #9

So I had my heat pump checked out and I was told the reversing valve needs replaced because it is no longer fully seating into cooling mode. He said that the lines should be cleaned out of the r22 and replaced with 410a. He acted as if he can not reuse the r22 once the repair is made. Is this true? Cant the r22 be reused?
Old 04-29-2013, 10:05 AM   #10

The other option he gave me was a new heat pump for $2400. Unit is only 6 years old.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:46 AM   #11

Is the compressor running?
Patrick Eubanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:48 AM   #12

I see you stated the compressor is running.
Patrick Eubanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:01 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterSteve
So I had my heat pump checked out and I was told the reversing valve needs replaced because it is no longer fully seating into cooling mode. He said that the lines should be cleaned out of the r22 and replaced with 410a. He acted as if he can not reuse the r22 once the repair is made. Is this true? Cant the r22 be reused?
He can't stick 410a in a r22 system. The 22 can be reused unless it's contaminated,requires a clean reclaim tank.
Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Marty S. For This Useful Post:
hvactech126 (04-29-2013)
Old 04-29-2013, 05:05 PM   #14
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,588

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterSteve View Post

The R22 can be recovered and then put back into the system.

I do it often.
hvactech126 (04-29-2013)
Old 04-29-2013, 07:08 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 2,000

within the condenser the discharge line out of the compressor going to the 3 way valve should be super hot no matter what mode it is in..in the heating mode the suction line becomes the discharge sending hot gas to the air handler and again on a full charge you should not be able to grab it....if you pull one 24V wire off the solenoid with the compressor running you will manually force the system to go from heating to cooling...

Advertisement

biggles is offline   Reply With Quote