DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Heat Pump Thermostat wiring

19K views 23 replies 5 participants last post by  beenthere 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a Goodman Heat Pump GPH1536M41 (electric emergency heat) and a Thermostat Honeywell Th6320U I got most of it worked out but I would like to make sure I get it right.
Thank You for any help

The Heat pump
R (24V)
G (fan)
O (rev. valve)
W1 (heat, 2nd)
W2 (heat, 3rd)
Y (cool)
C (24V Common)

The thermostat
Rc 24VAC power from cooling transformer
R 24VAC power from heating transformer
O/B Changeover valve
Y Compressor contactor (stage 1)
Y2 Compressor contactor (stage 2)
G Fan relay
Aux Auxiliary heat relay*/E Emergency heat relay*
L Sends output when set to Em. Heat
C 24VAC common

See less See more
#22 ·
The TH6320 is a 3 stage heat pump thermostat. However, it is designed to control 2 stages of heat pump and 1 stage of aux heat. The YTH9421 is a much better thermostat, and will stage in both the compressor and aux heat. As its a 4 stage thermostat.

Reactions: Doc Holliday
#7 ·
My fastest century is now 4:47:12. Specialized Tarmac, Bontrager ( I know, Trek but friggin' nice bars!) Blade Race X-Lite, Dura Ace, Kysrium Eilte.

I personally know some pro's, Ironmen and World Cycling Champions. Jordan Rapp (winner Ironman Arizona and course record setter, sponsored by Specialized), Dr. Andrew Coggan, WB (world's cross elitist champion, sponsored my Moots).

Nice having a fellow cyclist around.

#9 ·
Slot or terminal? I think you mean terminal. w1 is where you'd put the heat pump heat or first stage heat (primary) as that is your refrigerant heat from the heat pump. w2 would be where you'd connect electric heat which would be your back up (secondary/auxilary) so second stage heat.

#11 ·
W1 goes to Aux and W2 to E. Your thermostat is not giving you the full comfort your system can provide though. If you provide pictures or the wire color and terminal I can provide you with what you are asking. When you described HP were you meaning air handler instead? I would help if you knew what colors went to each terminal including the HP outside, AH inside. From this I can tell what needs to go where.

#12 · (Edited)
The thermostat terminals are labeled
L Y2 Aux/E G O/B C Y R Rc R&Rc have a jumper
This is what the manual has about them

Rc 24VAC power from cooling transformer
R 24VAC power from heating transformer
O/B Changeover valve
Y Compressor contactor (stage 1)
Y2 Compressor contactor (stage 2) -TH6320U only
G Fan relay
Aux Auxiliary heat relay*
E Emergency heat relay*
L Sends output when set to Em. Heat
C 24VAC common

Wires coming from the heat pump color and what the book says it's for.
Red R (24V)
Green G (fan)
Orange O (rev. valve)
White W1 (heat, 2nd)
Brown W2 (heat, 3rd)
Purple Not used
Yellow Y (cool)
Blue C (24V Common)

wiring for heat pump page 17
https://www.acwholesalers.com/v/vsp...pdf/GPH13-15/15/Installation_Instructions.pdf

For thermostat page 5 2H/1C Heat Pump System (TH6320U only)
http://www.pexuniverse.com/docs/pdf/honeywell-wireless-focuspro-th6000-installation-guide.pdf

#16 ·
RED - Rc JUMPERED TO R
ORANGE - O/B
YELLOW - Y
GREEN - G
WHITE - Aux
BROWN - E
NOT USED - L
BLUE - C

I don't like this setup because you don't get full tempering during defrost cycle and Never get full heat during call for aux heating. You can jumper AUX to E to get full heat, however, then your always using more energy when aux heat is called for. A better stat to allow the system to function with full potential would be the honeywell IAQ. Also, one note is that I don't recommend setback temps on a heat pump system because it will cause the electric heat strips to come on and offset any savings you might have seen from using setback temps. HP systems are set and forget it.

#19 ·
Both white and brown would go to this terminal. Again this is not providing you full potential and comfort your system can offer. Connecting it this way will work to get you going though. The other thing you could do is WHITE to AUX/E and BROWN to L. This thermostat has full output on L when put in emergency heat.

#24 ·
Seen a few, but never really used them myself. I've heard good things about them though. I think Honeywell even copied a feature or 2 from Aprilaire on some of their thermostats.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.