DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Heat Pump Thermostat HELP!!!

13K views 22 replies 6 participants last post by  beenthere 
#1 · (Edited)
Heat Pump Thermostat HELP!! ******UPDATED*****

**********UPDATED***************

I recently replaced my Heat pumps thermostat and it doesn't seem to be calling for auxilliary heat at all. My house will not get above 55 degrees.

All electric setup here.

My wires and how they are suggested to hook up to the thermostat per the heat pump manual are as follows -

R - Red - 24v
G - Green - Fan
O - Orange - Heat 1st
w1- Brown - Heat 2nd
w2- White - Heat 3rd
Y - Yellow - Cool
C - Blue - Common

The new thermostat is a Hunter 44272

I understand everything but I am unsure about the W1 Brown wire.. I was told the White wire is the Aux heat but not sure about the W2 & W1 wires... on the old thermostat, the Brown was connected to E terminal.

I was suspect the thermostat went bad so I am changing it out. To me, the heat pump seems to be working fine when I inspected it - It just cant keep up with the 20 degree cold snap on it's own. For some reason my aux heat strips are not kicking in and I need to figure out why... Is it my wiring to the thermostat??

I now have it hooked up like this -

R - 24v
y - compressor contact
G - Fan relay
O - Cool relay / valve
W2 - Aux heat
C - Common

Brown - unhooked.

See less See more
#8 ·
try w1 with white and w2 with brown. depending on your air handler in may need a call for heat on white before brown in order to fire up, or you may have a problem with your backup heat and it may not be stat at all
Just tried this and it doesn't seem to do anything. I have attached pictures so you can see what I am looking at. On the new stat it does not show w1 or w2 as an option for heat pump hook up. It does however have it listed on the side for conventional.... Please see the attached images for more clarification.

OLD STAT

HEAT PUMP MANUAL

NEW STAT

NEW STAT MANUAL

Btw - someone should develop a wiring harness that is used throughout the HVAC industry that would be a standard quick disconnect. Someone please get all the controls and equipment manufacturers together and come to an agreement!!!! Problems like mine seem all to common on many levels within the wiring department for all different spectrums of the HVAC industry.....

Thanks for your help! If I can't get this figured out in the next few hours - I will be calling a service tech. It is a balmy 50 degrees in the house now...

#7 ·
Either one or both banks seemed to have stopped working...The system would be running non stop and the house would only be around 62 degrees. I was told that my old Janitrol mercury stat might have crapped out and to replace it first to see if that was the issue. That is where I am at now.

#5 ·
MichaelG said:
I recently replaced my Heat pumps thermostat and it doesn't seem to be calling for auxilliary heat at all. My house will not get above 55 degrees.

All electric setup here.

My wires and how they are suggested to hook up to the thermostat per the heat pump manual are as follows -

R - Red - 24v
G - Green - Fan
O - Orange - Heat 1st
w1- Brown - Heat 2nd
w2- White - Heat 3rd
Y - Yellow - Cool
C - Blue - Common

The new thermostat is a Hunter 44272

I understand everything but I am unsure about the W1 Brown wire.. I was told the White wire is the Aux heat but not sure about the W2 & W1 wires... on the old thermostat, the Brown was connected to E terminal.

I was suspect the thermostat went bad so I am changing it out. To me, the heat pump seems to be working fine when I inspected it - It just cant keep up with the 20 degree cold snap on it's own. For some reason my aux heat strips are not kicking in and I need to figure out why... Is it my wiring to the thermostat??

I now have it hooked up like this -

R - 24v
y - compressor contact
G - Fan relay
O - Cool relay / valve
W2 - Aux heat
C - Common

Brown - unhooked.
Jump w1 and w2 at stat go to furnace and remove brown wire jump w2 and e at furnace or aux if different at furnace send a reply

#9 ·
Ok. So this is not an issue of just a miswired thermostat then.

You probably have a bad sequencer in your air handler, and that is why the aux heat isn't working. Or, it could be that one or both of the strip heaters are broke.

Do you have a multimeter.

#13 ·
Funny - I am having a hard time locating the heat strips. Having never fooled around with HVAC before - Is there somewhere else I should look other than inside the unit? I have looked at the duct work as well to check for an inline duct heater and couldn't find anything. Starting to think this POS system doesn't have a secondary element.... I am calling a tech.

#14 ·
Okay - I found the heating element. It was on the side of the unit in an access panel I didn't bother to remove. It's attached to the side of the house fan. Looks like a mouse or two got in there and might of made a connection inside the heater kit. Could it of blown something here? What are these black things?

#16 ·
Was told they are sequencers. Not likely to have messed them up. I tripped the circuit breaker back and forth a few times. Seemed to be working properly. Still not call for Aux heat. Was also told this was a 10kw unit that is 2 stage but calls for all ten kw at the same time. I guess that would explain both the white and Brown wires... They both end up at this heater but are jumped together at the unit.

#20 ·
Looks more like dead mice then transformers. :laughing:

Follow the yellow wires. One will go to the power feed. The other to the strip heater, or its fusible link.

#21 ·
thanks!

Thank you all for the help! I broke down and got a service tech. Best $80 I ever spent. It was low on Freon and he fixed the secondary heat. My house is now a toasty 68 degrees. He did however let me know that my unit was a 2 ton and I really could use a 3 ton. 1500 sq ft and 14ft ceilings throughout about half of it.

#23 ·
Thank you all for the help! I broke down and got a service tech. Best $80 I ever spent. It was low on Freon and he fixed the secondary heat. My house is now a toasty 68 degrees. He did however let me know that my unit was a 2 ton and I really could use a 3 ton. 1500 sq ft and 14ft ceilings throughout about half of it.
Doubt you need a 3 ton.

How well has it cooled in previous years.
How well has it heated in previous years.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.