Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-15-2011, 08:42 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Heat pump thermostat balance point.

Very helpful forum.
I had an issue this past winter when my heat pump broke down (3 years old). Called a tech and he replaced the low pressure switch. The one he installed did not work either so he installed a different one. The second time around he told me that with the low pressure switch he installed, I should not run the heat pump when it is below -18c (about 0F). He said that since my heat pump was not equipped with a thermostat (which he could install for 300$) I would have to only run AUX heat when very cold or risk problems with the compressor. Not wanting to give this guy any more money, I sent him on his way and decided to upgrade my thermostat with a model that has an external temperature sensor and can lock out the compressor.

My question is. The thermostat (Aprilaire 8570) I installed has a setting for low balance point (temp to lockout compressor) and high balance point(temp to lockout AUX heat). Should I use -18c (0F)for low, which the tech suggested, or is this a number specific to my heat pump? What should I use for the high balance point (or leave it OFF)?

ur_too_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 05:24 AM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 3,762

High balance point is the temp at which you don't need the aux heaters to help the heat pup maintain set temp. Could be 15, 20, 24 degrees F etc. Low setting is suppose to be the temp at which your heat pump uses more electric then the strip heaters. This could be 0 or -10F.

beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 02:45 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks for the response. I understand what the terms mean. What I'm asking is I how go about finding the high and low balance point temperatures.
ur_too_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 03:03 PM   #4
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 3,762

Generally, its suppose to be done by a load calc and then taking the performance charts of the heat pump, you make up a balance point graph, and plot it.

If you don't have a load calc, or the performance charts. You wing it, and just try a low temp for the heat pump lock out. If it can't keep up, you know to set it higher, if it keeps up, you try a lower setting.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote