Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-30-2011, 10:44 PM   #1

Share |

Heat Pump Stuck On

I have a problem with my Bryant heat pump. The outdoor unit is stuck on even when temperature on thermostat is reached. The indoor blower fan shuts off like it should, but the outside unit stays on. I did notice the incoming copper line seems to be a lot hotter than normal after the blower goes off. Almost too hot to touch. The little outgoing copper is pretty warm too. I finally just shut the heat pump breaker off to make it stop and am now running on auxilary heat only ($$$). Thanks for the help.

rhkirk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 10:56 PM   #2

Heat Pump Stuck On

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhkirk1 View Post
I have a problem with my Bryant heat pump. The outdoor unit is stuck on even when temperature on thermostat is reached. The indoor blower fan shuts off like it should, but the outside unit stays on. I did notice the incoming copper line seems to be a lot hotter than normal after the blower goes off. Almost too hot to touch. The little outgoing copper is pretty warm too. I finally just shut the heat pump breaker off to make it stop and am now running on auxilary heat only ($$$). Thanks for the help.
i feel like house.........um but you at some point have a thermostat that has not been properly programmed installation wise.a heat pump first of all ,once the outdoor temp falls below 4o should be running on back up heat mostly......your very smart bryant unit is recognizing the outdoor temp versus indoor and is doing right,however the t stat was not programmed right and is mis understanding it communication

DELTA.T4935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 11:06 PM   #3

Heat Pump Stuck On

Quote:
Originally Posted by DELTA.T4935 View Post
i feel like house.........um but you at some point have a thermostat that has not been properly programmed installation wise.a heat pump first of all ,once the outdoor temp falls below 4o should be running on back up heat mostly......your very smart bryant unit is recognizing the outdoor temp versus indoor and is doing right,however the t stat was not programmed right and is mis understanding it communication
i wish we had a voice chat service in here ,i could be of maximum benefit.I am very well educated in residential havac,however i could solve problems much quicker if ...i had voice ...oh welll ill try and help where i can ,hopefully i was cya
DELTA.T4935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 11:16 PM   #4
AKA HVACTECHFW

Heat Pump Stuck On

Quote:
Originally Posted by DELTA.T4935 View Post
depending on the type of system it may run the heat pump down to 0 outdoor temp when used with electric aux heat. with gas aux heat the heat pump should be shut off in the area of 40 outdoor temp.

in replay to the OP: sounds like the contactor is stuck or your t-stat is faulty and is sending a y signal to the hp keeping it on
Old 01-30-2011, 11:18 PM   #5

Heat Pump Stuck On

Thanks for the reply. I have had this heat pump for 12 years and this is new behavior. I live in Indiana and keep it set at 67 usually. Unless it gets really cold, the heat usually takes care of it without the backup. It is unusual because I have never had the outside unit running and the inside blower off. Even if I lowered the temp at the thermostat well below indoor temp the heat pump would not shut off. It continued circulating into the heat exchanger inside. It seems to me that the outside unit is not getting the signal to quit sending heat (for lack of a better way to put it).
rhkirk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 11:24 PM   #6
AKA HVACTECHFW

Heat Pump Stuck On

you are misunderstanding how your system works. the thermostat sends a 24v signal out on y and this closes the circuit for the compressor contactor. either the 24v signal is still present when it should not be or the contactor has failed closed. to check this you can shut your inside unit off at the breaker box. and turn the outside unit on at the breaker box. if the hp runs then the problem is in the HP. if not then most likely the problem is the t-stat
Old 01-31-2011, 05:52 AM   #7

Heat Pump Stuck On

Sounds like your contactor in the heat pump has welded shut.

Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote