Heat Pump Problem? - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-27-2008, 04:10 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Heat pump problem?

I have a 13 year old Trane heat pump. I have it tuned up every year. The last tune up was in Nov. I have been noticing there is water standing under the unit outside. Where is this coming from? This is the first year I have seen this. My neighbors unit never looks wet under their unit. We have both have the same unit. I don't want to call for repair as it is working ok inside as far as heating the house, unless I need it repaired. Any advice welcomed.

Advertisement

SunshineCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 04:17 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Heat pump problem?

Sounds to me like your unit has gone through a defrost cycle and whatever ice was on the inside has melted off. all part of normal operation.

Advertisement

HvacWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 04:22 PM   #3

Heat pump problem?

Thanks for the response. How often does this defrost cycle happen? Like I said before, I have never seen it wet under it except for the past few weeks now. Could the tune up have changed the frequency this happens?
Old 04-27-2008, 06:33 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

Heat pump problem?

All heat pumps go thru a defrost cycle based on coil temp. and run time. The defrost board checks the coil temp. every 30, 60, or 90 min. depending on how the board is set up. Possibly when the tune-up was done your tech changed the setting.
sgthvac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 06:55 PM   #5

Heat pump problem?

I had a new company do my tune up and that be the answer. They may have changed something. Thank you!
Old 09-01-2008, 05:29 PM   #6

Heat pump problem?

All of a sudden my furnace which is a Downflow/Upflow Electric Furnace - Models: EB Series / Model: 15B 4 speed blower. I woke up this morning and it would not come on. I discovered a 3 amp fuse had blown. I replaced the fuse and it blew again. Can anyone tell me why.

This is her son adding to the post. I replaced the 3 amp fuse with a 5 amp to see if there was a short or overload. The fuse held, but the system did not come on and the blower relay was buzzing loudly. Earlier I had noticed that the voltage coming from the transformer was 25-26VAC instead of the expected 24VAC. The only conclusion I could come up with after looking at the wiring diagram is either the relay, the transformer or the motor capacitor is faulty. I really don't know much about heating/ac units but I do know electronics and these three part look really easy to replace.

Can any of you tell what the problem is from what I have described? If not, are there any further troubleshooting steps to determine the actual problem or part to be replaced?
aklkuno1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 09:16 PM   #7

Heat pump problem?

My son????

Advertisement