Heat Pump Outdoor Fan Spin Backwards And The Unit Freezes In Extreme Cold Weather - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes

Old 03-20-2017, 09:04 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 138

Heat pump outdoor fan spin backwards and the unit freezes in extreme cold weather

usually below 30 degrees. once it gets, lets say above 40 degrees, the fan will start spinning correctly and the ice goes away.

the temp inside the house is fine - where it supposed to be; however, in this condition, the unit don't usually stops.

I checked the capacitor and it is fine.

besides the outdoor fan, what else could be causing this problem?

Lennox model #: 13HPP36AP-1A
serial #: 1613D18801

Advertisement

form8829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 09:35 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 82

Re: Heat pump outdoor fan spin backwards and the unit freezes in extreme cold weather

Does it go into defrost mode ?

Advertisement

Wilbits is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 12:51 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 46

Re: Heat pump outdoor fan spin backwards and the unit freezes in extreme cold weather

The motor shouldn't be running at all during defrost mode. If it's always spinning backwards during this time, there's something wrong with it. If you're sure that the cap is good, then that only leaves the motor.

To be sure, you'd need a multimeter, and be comfortable working with electricity.

Cheers!
supers05 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2017, 12:56 PM   #4

Does it go into defrost mode ? Yes i have seen it. i even changed the defrost cycle from 2 hours to 1 hour by moving the jumper on the defrost board.

I do not think that the fan spins while in defrost mode.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:40 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 82

When the fan runs " backwards " is the coil frosted up ? How did you determine the fan was running backwards ?
Wilbits is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 03:57 PM   #6

- When the fan runs " backwards " is the coil frosted up? Yes

- How did you determine the fan was running backwards ? the fan sucks air instead of blowing.

at my house right now it went up to around 60 degrees. I just tested and everything is working as it should. the outside fan is blowing air instead of sucking air.
Old 03-20-2017, 05:55 PM   #7

The motor is likely failing. (start windings are toast)

How did you test the cap?

Cheers!
beenthere likes this.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:33 PM   #8

- The motor is likely failing. (start windings are toast)
the fan motor? but how it only does it when is is around below 30 degrees?

- How did you test the cap?

with a meter.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by form8829 View Post
- ... but how it only does it when is is around below 30 degrees?
Coincidence. Wind direction helps to get it started in either direction when the start windings aren't working.

Quote:
with a meter.
A meter with a capacitance setting or only with resistance. (the latter is common with DIY's even if it's not particularly helpful.) What was the reading? What is the rating?

Cheers!
Old 03-21-2017, 07:42 AM   #10
Willing to listen

Rewards Points: 223

Lennox was having icing issues on heat pump fan blades. They have played with different logic in their defrost boards to address this. Some units will cycle the OD Fan if it sits idle for a period, to force it to shed water/ice.

They have a patent on reversing the airflow as well, US Patent 20080190131. Google it and read, shuts off fan like normal in defrost, but runs it in reverse sometimes too.
Done That is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 04:17 PM   #11

Done That, so you are saying that this is supposed to be normal operation of the machine in heat mode? running the outside fan backwards in heat mode?

but if that's the case, why is it that it get icy? it does not supposed to get icy right?
Old 03-22-2017, 06:05 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,274

Heat pumps can ice-up during the winter time. And it is normal for the entire coil to be covered in a white frost, even light ice, during certain weather conditions. But it is not normal for the entire unit to be encased in ice; including the top of the unit and the insides of the coil for an extended period of time.
LawnGuyLandSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 07:57 PM   #13

supers05

so do you think that the motor start windings are messed up?

the capacitor ratings are 45+7.5 uF+10/-5%

i got exactly 45+7.5 uF readings of the capacitor.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:04 PM   #14

i will say mine usually looks like the firs picture in the given link. again, only when it gets below around 30 degrees.
Old 03-23-2017, 04:04 AM   #15
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 7,268

Quote:
i will say mine usually looks like the firs picture in the given link. again, only when it gets below around 30 degrees.
Then it definitely has a problem.

Advertisement