Heat Pump Opened To Atmosphere-help! - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-22-2012, 07:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Heat pump opened to atmosphere-help!

I am thinking about buying a home where vandals have cut both the suction and hi pressure lines! (Trane heat pump model unknown).

This system may have been open for a year or more!

What are the chances the compressor unit is still operable? Obviously I can't "test" the system without having a contractor replace the lines and recharge the system. I hate to spend a bunch of money doing that, only to find out that the compressor or other components are bad due to exposure to air and humidity.

Just looking for an educated professionals opinion on what they'd advise me to do in this situation.

Thanks.

Advertisement

Curmudgeon555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 08:00 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon555 View Post
I am thinking about buying a home where vandals have cut both the suction and hi pressure lines! (Trane heat pump model unknown).

This system may have been open for a year or more!

What are the chances the compressor unit is still operable? Obviously I can't "test" the system without having a contractor replace the lines and recharge the system. I hate to spend a bunch of money doing that, only to find out that the compressor or other components are bad due to exposure to air and humidity.

Just looking for an educated professionals opinion on what they'd advise me to do in this situation.

Thanks.
you would be playing Russian roulette with the system, I doubt its any good, and even if a miracle happened and it did run.....it wouldn't run long. BUY NEW......in the end it will save you money.

Advertisement

harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 08:01 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

the life has been reduced on that compressor. even with a mint install and vaccuming/charge up the load on the compressor during running will take a hit.heating season and or definitly a hot summer it won't last even the air handler section,with open piping you don't know what crawled into the system at either end.just visualizing a compressor change in the middle of a heavy snow winter...what a nightmare...$$$
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 08:39 PM   #4
I'm Your Huckleberry

Rewards Points: 2,270

You can test to see if the compressor is grounded out and that's about it at this point. Check continuity/ohms from each terminal of the compressor to ground or to the casing of the compressor and if there is continuity than the windings on the inside are touching the case which means it's no good.

You can also test ohms from one terminal to the other and they should show an ohm rating per each. There should be two lower ohm ratings which will add to to the total ohm rating of the entire winding: across run and common 2 ohms, across start and common 3 ohms would equal to across run and start 5 ohms, along those lines. If any of those windings are open (OL) then the windings are shot, no electricity can pass through and the motor will not start.

Outside of that and if all tests well it's iffy if it will work. I'd have to think it will but for how long I couldn't say. Best bet would be to get a new unit with a warranty and then have a cage built around it so this does not happen again.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:05 PM   #5

Thanks Guys!!

Exactly what I was afraid of, but I wanted confirmation from some folks who really know what they're talking about.

You've kept me from throwing good money after bad!

Curmudgeon
Old 01-23-2012, 12:49 AM   #6

Quote:
Thanks Guys!!

Exactly what I was afraid of, but I wanted confirmation from some folks who really know what they're talking about.

You've kept me from throwing good money after bad!

Curmudgeon
the more obvious question is, why would you want to live in an area were crack heads are stripping houses for copper and aluminum?
Old 01-23-2012, 07:17 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,046

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyrider View Post
the more obvious question is, why would you want to live in an area were crack heads are stripping houses for copper and aluminum?
" Don't matter where you live or what kind of equipment you have crackheads are everywhere and will steal anything for the next hit".
COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 08:02 AM   #8

HVAC techs are wierd when asking about units history,they want to see it running or swinging over to a season change.when they are off powered down,and just sitting complete with piping and charges they still doubt it's integraty and only time will tell.being open like yours could end up being a total rip out at both ends
Old 01-23-2012, 08:26 AM   #9

Harleyrider:

Thanks for the help, but I don't think I mentioned crack heads anywhere.
In fact, it's a foreclosure in a gated community and I suspect that the previous owner did it in a fit of anger over losing his home. The lines were just cut, inside and out, but nothing stolen.
I was trying to keep my question simple without getting into a whole lot of background detail.
The fact that all the appliances are gone is pretty much the give-away.
The good news is that I am getting a house he paid $350,000 for 5 years ago for $130,000.
BTW, here near Charlotte NC there's been a HUGE rash of no goods stealing the copper out of heat pumps and condensor units in broad daylight in very upscale communities.
Thanks again for your help and advice.
Keep the rubber on the road.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:05 AM   #10

Quote:
Harleyrider:

Thanks for the help, but I don't think I mentioned crack heads anywhere.
In fact, it's a foreclosure in a gated community and I suspect that the previous owner did it in a fit of anger over losing his home. The lines were just cut, inside and out, but nothing stolen.
I was trying to keep my question simple without getting into a whole lot of background detail.
The fact that all the appliances are gone is pretty much the give-away.
The good news is that I am getting a house he paid $350,000 for 5 years ago for $130,000.
BTW, here near Charlotte NC there's been a HUGE rash of no goods stealing the copper out of heat pumps and condensor units in broad daylight in very upscale communities.
Thanks again for your help and advice.
Keep the rubber on the road.
they stay in da hood around here....I imagine its just a matter of time though.........
Old 01-23-2012, 01:46 PM   #11

might consider ground source heat pump install to get the condenser/piping out of the yard
Old 01-23-2012, 01:54 PM   #12

Weird ....I was on a site reading up on ground units when your message arrived. Considering going dual fuel unit Propane/heat pump)....last heat pump I had just never got the air very warm ;always felt like a cool draft. And this place is in the mtns. of NC....temps can hover at or below freezing Dec-Mar. Heat pump seemed like a mediocre choice to me for location & home price.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:21 PM   #13

had to be a short charge because that discharge superheated freon goes right to the inside air handler during the winter from the compressor.then being ground source you never have a defrosting...i've worked on commercial rooftops,and reaching into a unit past a compressor and getting tatood with a discharge line on the inside of my arm...... if the heat isn't there the charge isn't
Old 01-23-2012, 02:24 PM   #14

I neglected to mention that the last heat pump I had was 20 years ago....and a Bryant, at that. Maybe that's why it never seemed to put out hot air in cold weather (and it was brand new).
Old 01-23-2012, 02:49 PM   #15

if the cooling work in the summer,then something was happening for 20yrs in heating. cooling can still do it only thing is the unit runs longer to make the stat.then when it swings in winter the inside just isn't doing the temp should of been banging 120F-140F easy you ain't going to grab that insulated line going into the air handler.something to consider though...

Advertisement