DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

heat pump not working

8K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Mike Swearingen 
#1 ·
hello all. the new summer heat has greeted me with a heat pump that fails to squelch the heat. it ran periodically throughout the day, but the indoor temp gauge kept going up. later in the day, only the indoor fan ran, blowing nothing but luke-warm air.
What is likely wrong here? I am not sure how old the heat pump is, and I have only been in the house 10 months. the unit is covered by the home waranty, so should not be an issue with replacement, but i want to be able to talk to the insurance guys to get the max out of this. should i have them look into duct work, that kind of stuff as well? Also, would it be improper to have them install a new thermostat? mine looks like 1953 era crap.
sorry for my ramblings here ...but i am really a novice in this area.
kyle

#2 ·
Check your outside unit, it has two motors that have to work to get cooling. One compresses the coolant, and the other blows air over outside coils. Check circuit breakers if nothing happening outside, get it working before you start changing things.:cool: Next step call sevice tech.

#3 · (Edited)
Check all circuit breakers/fuses in panel and the outside cut-off.
Sounds like the compressor isn't working, or you're low on freon.
If all brekaers/fuses are O.K., then call a service tech to check the freon and replace as necessary.
Good Luck!
Mike
To check breakers, flip all the way off, then back on.
To check fuses, remove from fuse block, and check fuse by holding both leads of an ohm meter on each metal end of the fuse. If the needle doesn't move, the fuse is bad.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.