DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Heat pump in non insulated nor heated room

4K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  robdville 
#1 ·
I have a heat pump in a room outside my home; a closet of sorts. This room is protected from the elements, heated etc. However the room itself is not heated. Additionally, the rooms it heats are not well insulated. (they are a deck which has been transformed into a room) I have a plan to correct that in the Spring. Due to the poor insulation of the rooms and temp of the heat pump room, the pump never seems to send warm air.

My assumption is due to the temp of the room w/the pump.

What can I do to warm that room; short of extending duct work?
Is the heat pump room the cause? -is it the rooms it heats?

I have shut it off for now; I'm wasting money. I'm relying on the main home pump to keep the room warm; the temp is maintained at about 60 degrees

#2 ·
Do you have an electric furnace or a true heatpump? An air handler might be inside an enclosed space, but I would doubt that a true heatpump would be installed in one.
I've had heatpumps on my home for more than 30 years, and all units are totally outdoors for heating and cooling.
I would call an HVAC tech to check out what you're dealing with and if it's even functioning properly.
Good luck!
Mike

#3 ·
Have you taken actual temps at the registers or are you going by the way it feels? The air that comes out of a heat pump is normally cooler than human temp. (80F-95F), 96F blowing across your hand will feel cool but be warm enough to heat the space.

#4 ·
To Mike S:

Honestly, I dunno. -let's assume I don't have one. The furnace(heat source is in the room, the A/C outside (we have two A/C units for the house).

To Mike B:

That's a good point, it does feel cool; however I've only observed the temp at the thermostat. When running the system; it seems to run continously run, yet the Tstat temp is consistently 5 degress cooler than what I've set.

This rooms are not well insulated, additionally, they've evolved from a deck(previous owner). The wall of the foundation are covered, but barely (insulation, plywood and siding) I'm addressing that this Spring.

I feel my problems are likely a culmination of bad building, etc.

It seems you both think having the unit in a non-heated room is not a big deal; yay or nay? :)

Thanks again,

R Davis

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.