Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-14-2011, 01:48 PM   #1

Share |

Heat Pump Noise (FHP EM096-3VTC)

Hi all and thanks in advance for all the time and help.
I read the forum rules and stickies and I am glad to report I have been helping
support many an air conditioner repair man and engineers due to the following problem.

I, roughly 6 years ago, bought an office in Miami Beach. The unit is next to a HVAC closet and there has always been noise one way or another.

First, the noise was from the air returning through my unit coming through a return above my desk and now it seems to be from the actual air handler blowing air.

This issue has been going on for over 6+ years and the condo board has hired many a professional to check it out. I am going to use this thread to post as much information that is needed for you guys to see if everyone is missing something stupid.

The next plan of action the engineer is going to do is put the unit on some kind of vibration pad. Are some pads better than others? What would you guys suggest?

I found the manual for the unit online and I presume that pad in the diagram is what the engineer is talking about:

Here are some pics that might help:

One of the pics shows what I think is a 'flex duct connector.' Is there anyway to enhance the noise dampening ability of that connector? Add another or upgrade to a better one?

As I am sure you guys can tell when it comes to air conditioning I am a neophyte but I am grateful for a site like this.

If there is any additional information you guys need please just ask. I will be adding anything else I can think of to this thread to make the picture as clear as possible.

Once again, thanks in advance!

Soulrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 05:21 PM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Can you post a recording of the noise. Is air noise, or mechanical noise.

What size is the return opening from your office to the closet.

beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 06:07 PM   #3

Florida heat pumps are noisy. For that reason you don't see them put in a lot of occupied areas.

One thing that will help is to have a compressor blanket installed. It will dampen the noise from the compressor. Also have the tech look at the compressor feet. It might be time for some new ones.
Master of Cold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 06:38 PM   #4

Quote:
Can you post a recording of the noise. Is air noise, or mechanical noise.

What size is the return opening from your office to the closet.
That's a great idea actually recording the noise. I told the property manager to record the decibel level with an iPhone app but recording the actual sound too would be good. I will post it as soon as I get it.

It is both an air and mechanical noise. They have tried widening the return and a few other things to no avail.

I will get you pictures of the return as soon as I can. I am traveling but can have the property manager take them from inside my office.

Thanks for the response!
Old 11-14-2011, 07:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master of Cold View Post
Florida heat pumps are noisy. For that reason you don't see them put in a lot of occupied areas.

One thing that will help is to have a compressor blanket installed. It will dampen the noise from the compressor. Also have the tech look at the compressor feet. It might be time for some new ones.

You have a type of compressor blanket you would recommend and a site to check them out at?

I can have the manager open the cabinet and check out the compressor feet.

Thanks for the help. So need to get this noise fixed. Writing down all these great ideas.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:28 PM   #6

When the mgr opens the cabinet, have them get the number off of the compressor(s), I think there are two in there. Depending on the model the blanket can be obtained from Trane or Carrier pretty easily, per contractor only though.

If you get a pic or model numbers ill give you the part # to order.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:54 PM   #7

Perfect! Will have them open and get it definitely. Thanks again man any and all ideas are appreciated.

My thinking is with the vibration pad and a few other tweaks like this blanket each will dampen the noise a little bit more achieving the desired result: quiet!
Old 11-14-2011, 08:01 PM   #8
I'm Your Huckleberry

If we were to perform a decibal level comparison on a compressor with and a compressor without a sound blanket, I'd have to believe that the difference will be less than half of a single decibal at best.

Absolutely worthless overall except in helping a compressor to thermally overload. (overheat)

I remove them every chance I get. Makes no difference whatsoever. Customers all agree.
Doc Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 08:04 PM   #9

I would disagree...
Old 11-14-2011, 08:07 PM   #10
I'm Your Huckleberry

Not to be rude but I don't care.

I'd spend my money on soundproofing the walls (room) well before I tried to shush the hvac system.

Doc Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote