Heat Pump To Nat Gas? - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-17-2014, 04:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

heat pump to nat gas?

I have to replace my heat pump and I am thinking about going to nat gas or a duel fuel system. My fear is I will save 50.00 per month on electricity and spent 75.00 on gas. Has anyone gone from a heat pump to nat gas? Did you save money over all? I think a heatpump with gas backup instead of strips would be the way to go, but wanted some input.

Thanks for the help

Advertisement

wetbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 05:01 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 156

heat pump to nat gas?

Ive been doing a lot of research on this topic myself (thinking of going from oil to a heat pump).

I used a calculator/spreadsheet from the US Energy Information Administration. It was very helpful for me in making my decision. http://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/heatcalc.xls

One if the things to consider is the cost of various fuel sources in your area. You can usually get this from your local utility. It can vary widely from region to region. For example, electricity near me currently costs 23% less than the national average. We get a lot of power from hydroelectric sources. That coupled with a mild climate makes a heat pump a very attractive option for me. If I lived on the east coast I might be looking at other options.

Advertisement

dftc is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dftc For This Useful Post:
wetbar (02-18-2014)
Old 02-17-2014, 05:06 PM   #3
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,488

heat pump to nat gas?

Depends on your utility rates, and the efficiency of the heat pump.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:53 PM   #4
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,246

heat pump to nat gas?

It mostly depends on how much heat you need.
Too many homes have HP's in order to avoid having an oil tank.

So if you have gas service and need heat... it becomes a no brain-er.
Replace with gas furnace and regular AC.
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 10:05 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 150

heat pump to nat gas?

Thanks for the calculator! I was thinking of going duel fuel. I'm heating and cooling about 2200 sf on 2 levels with no zoning with 3 ton 13 seer heat pump now. I was thinking about going heatpump, gas backup(95%) downstairs, and a regular heatpump upstairs, 2 ton, 17 seer each(or at least down stairs). I'm not sure who did the manual J on this house but they did it wrong! (or my windows and doors suck). then later add the nat gas water heater and grill.

I was also thinking about putting 3 more returns on each level. I only have one now and even each floor has 3 degree dif. agree? disagree? I just want to make this thing as efficient as I can.

Once again thanks for the help
wetbar is offline   Reply With Quote