Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-08-2011, 07:12 PM   #1

Share |

Heat pump or just gas heat?

I have a gas furnace with central air. My HVAC tech told me it would be more economical to replace the ac unit with a full heat pump and use the gas as backup/emergency heat.

My ac unit is 19 years old. The upstairs unit (Full heat pump, no gas furnace) went out last winter. I'm thinking about having this unit replaced now but would it make sense to go with the heat pump or just keep the gas furnace as is and put in a new ac unit?

I live in North Carolina so we don't have too many bad winters but do get some cold days in Jan/Feb.

Thanks,
Rut

rutledj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 07:40 PM   #2

Heat pump is the lowest cost heat unless your electric rates are really high. I would think a heat pump in NC should do most of the heating for the year.

Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 07:46 PM   #3

heat pump for sure we travel to nc 3-4 times a year at all different times winter spring summer & fall cary area..utility bills and comfort GREAT....
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 09:19 PM   #4

When my AC went out in August, I replaced it with a heat pump. Kept the gas furnace for back up. Math says this is the way to go. Reality will tell the truth, this winter. I like having a choice, anyway.
JackDidley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 09:37 PM   #5
An old Tradesmen

Heat pump.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 02:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutledj View Post
I have a gas furnace with central air. My HVAC tech told me it would be more economical to replace the ac unit with a full heat pump and use the gas as backup/emergency heat.

My ac unit is 19 years old. The upstairs unit (Full heat pump, no gas furnace) went out last winter. I'm thinking about having this unit replaced now but would it make sense to go with the heat pump or just keep the gas furnace as is and put in a new ac unit?

I live in North Carolina so we don't have too many bad winters but do get some cold days in Jan/Feb.

Thanks,
Rut

Air source heat pump with gas backup heat is totally the way to go, that is almost as good as a having a geothermal heatpump. Making the compare between the Gas+HP vs geothermal, the HP will pay back in like 2-3 years, the Geothermal will pay back in 45 years or so..
zootjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 08:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutledj View Post

Yeah, that's what my HVAC saleman told me, too, until I got an independent cost/payback analysis. Turns out it would never have paid for the additional cost over just a heatpump alone or a gas furnace/straight AC. Unless your electricity is dirt cheap hydroelectric or nuclear (which it isn't from Duke Power or Progress Energy in North Carolina and they are in the process of increasing their rates 20% - 25%!) dual fuel systems or heat pumps aren't as cost-effective as gas in most of NC.
sktn77a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 06:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sktn77a View Post
Yeah, that's what my HVAC saleman told me, too, until I got an independent cost/payback analysis. Turns out it would never have paid for the additional cost over just a heatpump alone or a gas furnace/straight AC. Unless your electricity is dirt cheap hydroelectric or nuclear (which it isn't from Duke Power or Progress Energy in North Carolina and they are in the process of increasing their rates 20% - 25%!) dual fuel systems or heat pumps aren't as cost-effective as gas in most of NC.
Just think about how often the temperature outside is between 35 and 65 degrees. If that is a good part of your spring and fall, then you save money with a heat pump and dual fuel is the way to go. Now if come October through March it is below 35 most nights, then the heat pump won't be doing much for you, but where I live I'm still using my heatpump exclusively and it is the middle of November. The backup heat only turned on once when it dipped below 35 for an hour or so..

If you are thinking of getting Gas with AC, then Gas + Heat Pump is only a few hundred more dollars more. You can pick and choose if you want to use electricity or Gas as prices fluctuate. All that is different is the outdoor unit and the thermostat! For me it was a very easy decision to go Gas + HP.

How much is the gas and electric in your area? price per therm or KWh?
Old 11-18-2011, 06:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by zootjeff View Post

If you are thinking of getting Gas with AC, then Gas + Heat Pump is only a few hundred more dollars more. You can pick and choose if you want to use electricity or Gas as prices fluctuate. All that is different is the outdoor unit and the thermostat! For me it was a very easy decision to go Gas + HP.

How much is the gas and electric in your area? price per therm or KWh?
Thats just what I was going to post. I kept my old gas furnace. The new heat pump/A coil/thermostat was maybe $600 more than a new AC and A coil.
JackDidley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 06:57 PM   #10

It depends on your fuel cost.......thats the bottom line. Here in NW Ohio its foolish to buy a HP, our electric rates are some of the highest in the country. Florida is a different story.....again it all depends on your rates.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 08:53 PM   #11

Well, I already have the gas furnace so splurging a little more for a hp vs just the ac shouldn't be too bad of an investment, especially if I am able to adjust the cut-over point myself.

Thanks for all your input.

Rut
rutledj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 11:44 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyrider View Post
It depends on your fuel cost.......thats the bottom line. Here in NW Ohio its foolish to buy a HP, our electric rates are some of the highest in the country. Florida is a different story.....again it all depends on your rates.
Can you give me an example? How much did you use and pay on your last gas and electric bill?