Heat Pump Issue - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-02-2009, 10:17 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Heat Pump Issue

Hi all, I have a Rheem heat pump and I have been having an ongoing issue with it that I can't seem to figure out. When I turn on the heat/ac, occasionally I have to go to the outside unit and press the reset button to get it to operate. From what I have been able to find, I understand that this problem is related to a air flow issue? My filter in the air handler was pretty dirty so I took it out the last time that I had to press the reset button. I have now been running the air handler with no filter (having trouble finding a replacement) for a couple of days and again this morning the heat pump was not working. I pressed the button and it fired right up. I opened up the air handler and vacuumed all the dust off of the components inside the unit. Still having the problem. What else could it be? I am pretty handy with things, so I should be able to troubleshoot things if anyone has any suggestions. Thanks in advance.......Matt

Advertisement

ForceFed79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 06:28 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Heat Pump Issue

That is a high pressure switch. In heating mode you are not getting enough air over the indoor coil. Check the blower capacitor, blower wheel for dirt and the bottom side of the indoor coil . When the filter gets too dirty it just bows in and the air goes around it unfiltered. My guess is a plugged up evap coil.

Advertisement

Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 09:10 PM   #3

Heat Pump Issue

What should I check on the capacitor? Voltage, resistance, apperance? I do have a volt meter that I could check it with. After I found and removed the dirty filter, I took a look at the blower motor and fan wheel. It was filthy. I took the blower out and scrubbed it down with a wire brush and vacuumed it off really well, then re-installed it again. The previous owner of my home didn't run the unit with a filter in it (he was a HVAC tech too, go figure). I'm assuming the coil is the triangle looking radiator/heat exchanger component that the air flows through to heat and cool the house? I carefully vacuumed that also from within trying to get the most dirt out as I could. What would be the best way to clean that piece? It is very difficult to clean. I really appreciate the response.....thanks again.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:00 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

Heat Pump Issue

It is the triangle part.The best way to clean a really dirty coil is with a comb made for the job followed with a foaming coil cleaner. A bristle hair brush works if they're not too bad. Be carefull,take your time and don't bend the fins over. There just isn't a quick and easy way to clean the coil one they get impacted with dirt.

Capacitors have a value on the label. If your meter does not have a capactor checker on it the formula is
(volts x 2652)/amps
Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 10:58 PM   #5

Heat Pump Issue

Thanks a bunch Marty, you really helped me out!....Matt