Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-30-2012, 01:20 AM   #1

Share |

Heat Pump Fan hard to move

Since this is record heat in Virginia my heat pump decides it does not want to run anymore. Wife called me at work stating heat pump was not cooling and compressor fan was not running. I had her cut off unit, wait 10 min, cut back on and the unit ran for 30 minutes then the fan stopped spinning again. Since it was hot had her take water hose and spray unit from the top to cool the coils, then turn back on and the outside unit just hummed and the fan did not spin.

Got home from work and turn on the heat pump then go outside and find the fan trying to spin. Would turn 1 full spin then stop, then turn 1/2 turn and stop. I turned off and checked the capacitor since it was replaced in 7/2010 but it was not bulging. So with power off I tried to move the fan blade with screw driver and it was very hard to move. I'm thinking the fan went bad since the outside compressor is about 11 years old. Should a motor spin freely by hand?

Not sure if I have dual capacitor but had brown and yellow wire from motor go to capacitor. The black wire went to another terminal near the board.

Put in window ac as temp measure till I can get to HVAC shop.

marriedmanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 04:06 AM   #2
An old Tradesmen

The fan should spin freely by hand.

beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to beenthere For This Useful Post:
marriedmanw (07-02-2012)
Old 06-30-2012, 04:10 AM   #3

The fan should spin freely by hand. If it doesn't, then you've got bearing troubles and the motor will need to be replaced most likely. Some motors have oiling ports, but that's for maintenance, not repair. I've taken them apart to oil them, to get customers by until we can get the replacement - but if the bearings have gone bad to the point where the fan won't spin, it's time to replace the motor.

Note too that "bulging" is just one way to determine if a capacitor is bad. I see many of them that aren't bulged but are defective. The only way to check is to use a meter. If it's not with 10% of rated capacity then it's bad.
scottmcd9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to scottmcd9999 For This Useful Post:
marriedmanw (07-02-2012)
Old 07-02-2012, 08:43 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmcd9999 View Post
The fan should spin freely by hand. If it doesn't, then you've got bearing troubles and the motor will need to be replaced most likely. Some motors have oiling ports, but that's for maintenance, not repair. I've taken them apart to oil them, to get customers by until we can get the replacement - but if the bearings have gone bad to the point where the fan won't spin, it's time to replace the motor.

Note too that "bulging" is just one way to determine if a capacitor is bad. I see many of them that aren't bulged but are defective. The only way to check is to use a meter. If it's not with 10% of rated capacity then it's bad.
Picked up new compressor motor and back in business. It never fails that parts go bad after hours or on weekends. It was ironic that one day before motor failed had HVAC tech was here to relocate the outdoor compressor due to FEMA regulations.
marriedmanw is offline   Reply With Quote