Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-13-2010, 05:54 PM   #1

Share |

Heat Pump Defrost Problems

I have a Ducane 3.5 ton heat pump package unit. It is about 8 years old. I have only had one problem with it a couple of years after it was installed it developed a lead from two pieces of tubing rubbing together. It has worked fine up until now. Below 40F it will freeze up for about a day or so, then it will work fine for 3 ro 4 days. I called someone to come look at it and I was told it was the board. $200 later I had a new board then it started back up to its old tricks. I called the company back and without coming to look at it he said I would need a new reversing valve and that would be about $300. Well I started doing some of my own troubleshooting. When it started acting up I camped out next to my unit and it would go into defrost, but it would not stay long enough for the coil to completely thaw. I then disconnected the condenser fan and put it in cooling and the compressor came on and I left it until it defrosted completely. The next day it started to work fine and it stayed in defrost long enough to defrost. If I understand the function of the board it automatically goes into defrost every 10 minutes then if the defrost thermostat is closed it will defrost until the thermostat opens. I was wondering if the defrost thermostat could be going bad. It seems to me the reversing valve seems to be working fine unless it was a fluke when I changed it to cooling and that is when it started working again. I could use some advice and education before I fork out any more money.

khafner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 05:57 PM   #2

Heat Pump Defrost Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by khafner
I have a Ducane 3.5 ton heat pump package unit. It is about 8 years old. I have only had one problem with it a couple of years after it was installed it developed a lead from two pieces of tubing rubbing together. It has worked fine up until now. Below 40F it will freeze up for about a day or so, then it will work fine for 3 ro 4 days. I called someone to come look at it and I was told it was the board. $200 later I had a new board then it started back up to its old tricks. I called the company back and without coming to look at it he said I would need a new reversing valve and that would be about $300. Well I started doing some of my own troubleshooting. When it started acting up I camped out next to my unit and it would go into defrost, but it would not stay long enough for the coil to completely thaw. I then disconnected the condenser fan and put it in cooling and the compressor came on and I left it until it defrosted completely. The next day it started to work fine and it stayed in defrost long enough to defrost. If I understand the function of the board it automatically goes into defrost every 10 minutes then if the defrost thermostat is closed it will defrost until the thermostat opens. I was wondering if the defrost thermostat could be going bad. It seems to me the reversing valve seems to be working fine unless it was a fluke when I changed it to cooling and that is when it started working again. I could use some advice and education before I fork out any more money.
You should always replace defrost stat when you replace your board

Hixheat1 is offline   Reply With Quote