Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-20-2009, 10:17 PM   #1

Share |

heat pump compressor not running...

About a month or so ago I replaced the capacitor in my heatpump. The outside fan would not run and the compressor would act like it wanted to start then stop... The lights in the house would briefly dim as the compressor would try to start. Replacing the capacitor cured the problems.

This evening as I was outside finishing up the lawn I hear the compressor attempt to start. It attempts briefly, maybe a second or two, then shuts off. I stood there and it attempted to start a couple more times then shut off. I then went into the house and noticed the lights would briefly dim as the compressor attempted to start, the same as it did when the capacitor went bad.

I know my description is brief and not very informative but does anyone have any idea what the problem could be?

Thanks in advance...

hotnva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 12:50 PM   #2

You either have another bad capacitor or your compressor is struggling to start against the system pressures. If your capacitor is good, try using a hard start kit, a SUPCO SPP7 is a decent one. Should be able to get it from where you got the capacitor before.

SKIP4661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 02:27 PM   #3

Skip...

Thanks for the reply!!!

The outside fan will still run... I was told this means the capacitor is still good... I don't know, could the less the new capacitor have gone bad or just "partially bad" and not have enough to start the compressor?

I had the capacitor replaced by a HVAC company. Is there someplace I can purchase a capacitor and hard start kit?

Also, I failed to mention... About six months ago I had all of the freon escape. When the outside unit was built two of the copper pipes were rubbing and it rubbed a hole in one of them. The tech that came out soldered up the hole and moved the pipes away from one another. All was well until the capacitor blew. Anyway, there were two heavy wires, black and red, that were laying across the copper pipes. I noticed the insulation on the black wire was slightly burned were it had been laying on the pipe. I mentioned it to the tech and he said he would take care of it but I don't believe he did...

Could this burned wire be causing a short in the system and not allowing the compressor to kick on and stay on?

IT'S HOT TODAY!!!
Old 08-21-2009, 04:34 PM   #4

I took the top off of the unit outside and inspected the wires that I thought may be faulty... Unfortunately, they were fine...

Any ideas on were to get a hard start kit or other suggestions will be greatly appreciated...
Old 08-21-2009, 05:36 PM   #5

Here is a link for a hard start kit.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg...Supco&L1=Supco
SKIP4661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 09:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotnva View Post
the lights would briefly dim as the compressor attempted to start, the same as it did when the capacitor went bad.
Check that the 240 vac into the unit doesn't drop more than 10 or 15 vac when the compressor tries to start.

You might also check the voltage drop across the closed starter relay/contactor contacts while the relay is pulled in; at rated current less than 30 mV is good, more than 100 mV is bad.

Last edited by Yoyizit; 08-21-2009 at 09:50 PM.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 10:08 PM   #7

Skip...

Thanks for the link. I will check it out... Unfortunately, Grainger's site is down for maintenance.

Yoyizit... A "friend of a friend" who does HVAC is coming over on Sunday to check things out.

The "friend of a friend" told me it sounds like a bad compressor and I will have to replace everything because it is a 10 seer unit. He stated that 10 seer compressors are no longer made and everything, the outside unit and inside unit, will have to be replaced with at least a 13 seer. Any truth to this???