Heat Pump/compressor/aux Heat - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-24-2014, 10:05 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 20

heat pump/compressor/aux heat

Hi,

My heat pump seems to have issues but i can't figure out where. if i bump the thermostat up 1 degree the heat pump kicks on and the indoor temp rises the 1 degree according to the thermostat reading. after holding for a while at the new temp setting the aux heat will kick on and run for a little while before the whole system shuts down for that cycle.

couple things -

i don't always notice the compressor kick on but the temp does rise with the heat pump running. is it possible for the heat pump to work correctly if the compressor doesn't actually kick on? the refrigerant lines outside are hot and cool as they should be so it seems like the compressor is working whether i notice it come on or not. the outdoor fan is running.

also, if the heat pump is raising the temp in the house correctly and then the aux heat kicks on after it has reached the desired temp is that a bad thermostat? or is that working correctly?

lastly, it seems like the colder it gets the quicker the aux heat is coming on. i know this is normal depending on outdoor temp and how well the hat pump keeps up but wondering if i can disable the aux heat to see how the system runs without it at all?

any advice on this or how to test what is going on would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

Advertisement

jef1f76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 04:33 PM   #2

let me clarify my issue with an example.

thermostat was set at 69 degrees, outdoor temp was about 33 degrees. i bumped the thermostat up to 70 degrees. the heat pump came on and ran for 15-20 minutes. the thermostat read 70 degrees after just a few minutes of the heat pump running and held at 70 until after about 15 minutes when the aux heat kicked on. total run time of heat pump was about 20 minutes. aux heat ran for several minutes before turning off at which time the entire system turned off until the next cycle.

seems to me the aux heat didn't need to come on. is that a correct assumption or am i over thinking it?

Advertisement

Old 11-24-2014, 04:50 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,308

Is this your first cold season with a heat pump? It could have gone into defrost which turns the aux heat on.
zappa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 05:03 PM   #4

no, this is our third winter in the house. seems like the aux heat is coming on more frequently than it used to. it doesn't come on when the heat first turns on, only the heat pump. after several minutes, sometimes 10-15, and the thermostat reaching the desired temp, the aux heat will kick on until it finishes the heating cycle
Old 11-24-2014, 05:14 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 340

Quote:
Originally Posted by zappa View Post
Is this your first cold season with a heat pump? It could have gone into defrost which turns the aux heat on.
Defrost does turn on the ax heat but wont display that on the thermostat, as its controlled by the unit. The only time the thermostat will display aux heat, is if the stat calls for it .
sammy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 05:15 PM   #6

so the tstat is calling for aux heat? does that mean faulty tstat since it shows as being at desired temp?
Old 11-24-2014, 05:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jef1f76 View Post
no, this is our third winter in the house. seems like the aux heat is coming on more frequently than it used to. it doesn't come on when the heat first turns on, only the heat pump. after several minutes, sometimes 10-15, and the thermostat reaching the desired temp, the aux heat will kick on until it finishes the heating cycle
Some basic thermostats are not very efficient when it comes to aux heat. There are better thermostats out there that will let you better control when the aux heat needs to run. Some high line stats will even let you totally lock out the aux heat but you would need to add an outdoor sensor also. Honeywell iaq is one such thermostat that can be set up to lock out your auxillary above a certain outdoor temp.
Your thermostat may be capable of being adjusted to be a little more efficient with the aux cycling. Do you have a name and model of your stat?
Old 11-24-2014, 05:21 PM   #8

Quote:
so the tstat is calling for aux heat? does that mean faulty tstat since it shows as being at desired temp?
Some stats are finicky and will cycle the aux at the drop of a hat.
Old 11-24-2014, 05:23 PM   #9

Not sure but some stats may also turn on aux after a calculated run time but not super sure on that.
Old 11-24-2014, 06:23 PM   #10
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,578

Post brand and model number of the thermostat.
Old 11-24-2014, 06:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy37 View Post
Defrost does turn on the ax heat but wont display that on the thermostat, as its controlled by the unit. The only time the thermostat will display aux heat, is if the stat calls for it .
I thought he was feeling the air getting hotter instead of seeing an indicator come on.
Old 11-24-2014, 07:04 PM   #12

Not sure of the model, no numbers on the case, but looks like this onehttp://www.commercial.carrier.com/commercial/hvac/product_physical_data/0,3060,CLI1_DIV12_ETI440_MID157_PRD777,00.html

Aux Heat is displayed when it kicks on
Old 11-24-2014, 08:30 PM   #13
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,578

Check in the installer set up, to see if its been set to bring on the aux heat by time.
Old 11-24-2014, 09:46 PM   #14

I'll check the aux Heat timer.

Also, when I got home from work the Heat pump was running and ran continuously for almost 2 hours until I turned the tstat down 1 degree and the system kicked off. I waited a little while, turned it back up 1 degree and the Heat pump kicked on but switched in just a few minutes to aux Heat as displayed on the tstat
Old 11-24-2014, 10:28 PM   #15

Quote:
I'll check the aux Heat timer.

Also, when I got home from work the Heat pump was running and ran continuously for almost 2 hours until I turned the tstat down 1 degree and the system kicked off. I waited a little while, turned it back up 1 degree and the Heat pump kicked on but switched in just a few minutes to aux Heat as displayed on the tstat
What was the outdoor temperature when it ran for 2 hours? If nothing has been changed on the stat your heat pump might not be preforming like it used to. Low charge, dirty coil(s) filter, etc.....

Advertisement

Tags
aux heat , compressor , heat pump