Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-16-2012, 02:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Heat pump (Bryant) in CT?

I was hoping for some constructive thoughts about heat pumps (i.e., specifically Bryant)... here is some info...

House in CT is well built, insulated, etc. (I had energy audit done and made some minor adjustments), 24 years old with original Burham hot water oil burner (parts replaced and works well) and Lennox 4 ton A/c unit.

Thinking of replacing the Lennox. One company measured house, etc. and said the new Bryant AC/heat pump units can work well near single temp digits. If true<?> once I see the numbers I can figure out if I save any oil costs and go for a combo AC/heat pump vs just a replacement AC unit (current Lennox seems to work OK). However another guy told me that heat pumps only work well under the 40s. I once lived in south and they did seem to not work well below 40 (and electric coils come on).

Any thoughts/experience with the Bryant?

Oh, I will be solar so generate my own electricity.

Thx

desmo907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 03:29 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

ground source HPS then you don't have to worry about the 40F condenser and the outside going below it..which is when it starts loosing efficantcy.then when you defrost your running colling in the winter with the resistance heat making up for the 40F off the air handler...with it 20F outside.ground source you get a constant 50-60 during the winter and bang the heat wit minimal defrosting cycle if any... http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...JHtK91vZo&NR=1

Last edited by biggles; 07-16-2012 at 03:48 PM.
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 04:39 PM   #3
E2 Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,056

I live in CT and run a heat pump, I have oil as a backup and I cut out the Heatpump at 32* outside temp, I'm very happy with this setup and cutout temp, although, it will heat my house at lower temps, it won't delivery the efficiency either.... I own a tempstar 2 Stage Heatpump, IMO, I highly recommend it. I used a 1/2 a tank of oil last year, I have a heatpump/electric water heater as well, i ditched the oil fired water heater, couldn't stand burning oil all summer just for hot water.

Last edited by stickboy1375; 07-16-2012 at 04:41 PM.
stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 05:20 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Thx.

I suspect my AC is nearing end of life and it certainly is not efficient (thought I hardly used it until this past year).

I also heard of the Carrier Greenspeed units.... can be used to ~0 deg.

I was thinking the same... oil baseboard heat in colder months. I may disconnect my hot water from the Burnham boiler too and go electric since I will be solar.

Thx
desmo907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 05:43 PM   #5
E2 Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,056

Quote:
Originally Posted by desmo907 View Post
Thx.

I suspect my AC is nearing end of life and it certainly is not efficient (thought I hardly used it until this past year).

I also heard of the Carrier Greenspeed units.... can be used to ~0 deg.

I was thinking the same... oil baseboard heat in colder months. I may disconnect my hot water from the Burnham boiler too and go electric since I will be solar.

Thx
My 2 ton unit crapped out, and I upsized the duct work in-between all that, so for an extra 1,000 I went with the heat pump and a 3 ton unit, I love the 2 stage aspect of it... I changed out the blower in my furnace to accommodate the 2 stage outdoor unit... I hardly EVER feel a temperature swing in my house unless the actual furnace kicks on and blasts the huge amount of hot air...
stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:38 PM   #6
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 2,802

If you have enough solar panels to run the heat pump. then it will cost less to use it to heat with even when its zero outside, and colder.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:57 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,000

You also might want to check out a couple Lennox units that are already set up for solar power. I believe the models are the xp17 and the xp21.
Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:09 PM   #8
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 2,802

Nothing actually super special about the condenses from lennox. its just that Lennox's solar panel have the inverter on them, and supply 240 volt from the panel. lennox just uses their condenser as a raceway.

beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote