Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-14-2012, 07:16 AM   #1

Share |

Heat Pump Aux Heat Sizing

How is the aux heating determined in a heatpump system?

digitalplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:07 PM   #2
Willing to listen

You could use kW to BTU/h conversion of 1kW = 3401 BTU/h, so a 20kW kit would be ~68,000 BTU/h as an example and size that way.

Then I guess you have to decide how much "risk" you want to have in terms of covering yourself in the event of no other heat source. Guess in your neck of the woods you could be a little more risk tolerant and size to the smaller end of available options, where I'm at not nearly as much.

Done That is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Done That View Post
You could use kW to BTU/h conversion of 1kW = 3401 BTU/h, so a 20kW kit would be ~68,000 BTU/h as an example and size that way.

Then I guess you have to decide how much "risk" you want to have in terms of covering yourself in the event of no other heat source. Guess in your neck of the woods you could be a little more risk tolerant and size to the smaller end of available options, where I'm at not nearly as much.

This is one of those, just curious things! I am not doing this.

So if I understand you, the heat strip needs to be equal to the amount of heating BTU'S that you need in the evemnt that your heat pump fails?
digitalplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:03 PM   #4
Willing to listen

Yes, as a homeowner that is how I approached it. I sized mine based on a load calc just like sizing for a gas furnace etc. and assumed I might want to be comfortable for days or weeks at a time should the pump fail and not be able to be serviced.
Done That is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Done That For This Useful Post:
digitalplumber (11-14-2012)
Old 11-14-2012, 04:00 PM   #5
HVAC Tech/Owner

I do it different and here is why:

1. Your heatpump quits and you don't notice. The strips cover the load for a month and a half......you finally notice when you get the bill.
2. I do a load calc on every house, so I know what your heating load is and what the heatpump will put out at design conditions....so I know the minimum heater size to carry the load.....
3. You will NEVER need a strip to carry the entire load until you have a heatpump problem, so if the house only needs to maintain 60 degrees until you get it fixed......

I always put heater sizes in between. So you will know when you have a problem and don't have to have a bunch of controls to save you from running 15KW when you only need 5kw
Technow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Technow For This Useful Post:
digitalplumber (11-14-2012)