Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-25-2010, 07:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

heat pump

live in cold climate in winter considering a heat pump, i was wondering if someone would explain how the thermostat works as in when it brings the electric furnace. does the heat pump run all the time or does it shut off when its really cold . not doing myself just want to understand how it works. any help greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.

pamela99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 08:18 PM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 2,998

heat pump

They can be set up to shut off the heat pump when it gets too cold outside. Too cold is usually below zero. Some however are still more efficient at 0 then the strip heaters at zero though.

beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 08:42 PM   #3

heat pump

Thanks for the reply does that 0 means celcius if so a heat pump seems not to make sense in Winnipeg, does the furnace come on automatically if the heat pump does not keep up, or does the heat pump and furnace run at the same time. I am not sure if I want a heat pump,opinions welcome .Winnipeg gets cold in winter.
Old 08-25-2010, 08:45 PM   #4
An old Tradesmen

heat pump

0F.

The thermostat will automatically bring on the furnace, if the heat pump can't keep up.
Old 08-25-2010, 08:54 PM   #5

heat pump

thanks for the help, in your opinion would you buy a heat pump in Winnipeg its cold here from 0ctober to march sometimes 40 below.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:24 PM   #6
An old Tradesmen

heat pump

A dual fuel yes. That way on those mild days and nights. When the heat pump can handle the load. You get the lower cost operation of the heat pump. Once its too cold out for the heat pump. The gas or oil furnace takes over.
Old 08-26-2010, 05:33 AM   #7
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 2,442

heat pump

Hate to be negative but I would say NO. We can heat our homes a LOT cheaper with natural gas than heat pumps or electricity. A 2 or 3 stage furnace is the best bet. The Lennox G71 or SLP has 3 stages and the lowest is 35% of full fire. At over 98% efficient. The lowest fire is great for fall and spring so you always get the highest efficiency year round. Nobody will go out when it is below 0C and work outdoors on a heatpump so it is HARD to get service for and one of the main reasons we don't see them very often. They produce lots of ice when they defrost a lot in our climate and have other negative aspects.

Last edited by yuri; 08-26-2010 at 06:28 AM.
yuri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 01:18 PM   #8
An old Tradesmen

heat pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuri View Post
Hate to be negative but I would say NO. We can heat our homes a LOT cheaper with natural gas than heat pumps or electricity. A 2 or 3 stage furnace is the best bet. The Lennox G71 or SLP has 3 stages and the lowest is 35% of full fire. At over 98% efficient. The lowest fire is great for fall and spring so you always get the highest efficiency year round. Nobody will go out when it is below 0C and work outdoors on a heatpump so it is HARD to get service for and one of the main reasons we don't see them very often. They produce lots of ice when they defrost a lot in our climate and have other negative aspects.
You would know the utility rates up there better then I would.
Old 08-26-2010, 02:28 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 150

heat pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuri View Post

What about geothermal? Does anyone use it up there?
moondawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 05:50 PM   #10
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 2,442

heat pump

If you have $25,000 burning a hole in your pocket to get started with. Rural areas have some but it takes a LONG time to break even and with a few repairs you lose $$ in the long run.