Heat Pump?????? - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-04-2012, 10:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Heat Pump??????

I am building an addition to a house that i am remodeling. and i am deciding if a heat pump is worth purchasing. I have read that i will need a secondary heat source and the payback for a heat pump will take 30 years if it will ever payback. I live in western pennsylvania where it gets colder than 32 degrees most winter and some fall days. Natural gas is not available where i live. so m options are electric furnace, heat pump, or pellet stove. do i need a secondary heat source with the heat pump? and is it worth getting the heat pump? all comments and suggestions with information is greatly appreciated thanks!

Advertisement

crk217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:31 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Heat Pump??????

What is the heat source now? Would you consider installing a LP tank...is that an option?

Advertisement

Old 11-04-2012, 10:40 PM   #3

Heat Pump??????

The heat source was oil furnace but i eliminated that oil is too expensive so i have no heat source right now. What is an lp tank? Sorry this is my first home i am doing most of the work myself except for the heating. So im not very knowledgeable with everything thats out there.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:10 PM   #4
I'm Your Huckleberry

Rewards Points: 2,270

Heat Pump??????

liquid propane.

electric heat strips in the electric air handler connected to the heat pump. first stage heat would be refrigerant using the heat pump, electric heating will be secondary/emergency.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:15 PM   #5

Heat Pump??????

Ok so i would need to have the electric furnace running along with the heat pump correct? And whats the heat strips for in the handler?
Old 11-04-2012, 11:22 PM   #6
I'm Your Huckleberry

Heat Pump??????

Quote:
Originally Posted by crk217 View Post
Ok so i would need to have the electric furnace running along with the heat pump correct? And whats the heat strips for in the handler?
Let's just say something happens to the heat pump, a refrigerant leak or a bad reversing valve/defrost board, you still have heat. That and during a heat pump's defrost cycle the heat strips energize to keep the air warm.

As well if a system runs for too long without bringing the temp up those secondary electric heat strips kick in to assist.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:24 PM   #7

Heat Pump??????

Oh ok. Well is it worth getting a heat pump in pennsylvania?
Old 11-04-2012, 11:51 PM   #8
I'm Your Huckleberry

Heat Pump??????

There's a member named beenthere who's an hvac tech I believe in PA. Check back tomorrow, he'd know more than I would about your region. I'm in Texas.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:53 PM   #9

Heat Pump??????

Ok great. Thanks for your help and info!
Old 11-04-2012, 11:58 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 686

Heat Pump??????

Since your in the middle of rehabing nows the time to hurry up and figure out which way your going to go with the heat.
Depending on which way you go it may require opening up walls, floors of ceiling.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:14 AM   #11

Heat Pump??????

Joe, Virginia is similar as far as winters as pa so whats ur thoughts on heat pumps with our winters?
Old 11-05-2012, 12:32 AM   #12
I'm Your Huckleberry

Heat Pump??????

Is a Heat Pump the Best Choice?
Since a heat pump can both heat and cool a house, wouldn't you always rather buy a heat pump than a central air conditioner? And wouldn't you rather have a single piece of equipment to purchase, install and maintain than both a central air conditioner and a furnace? While the answer may be this simple, you should consider several factors.

The seasonal weather in your region is probably the most important factor in this decision. If the temperature rarely dips below 40 degrees Fahrenheit, you can probably heat your home more affordably with a heat pump than a furnace. However, if the temperature is often colder, you should consider having a backup heat source. Many people choose a gas or oil furnace to serve this purpose -- both for reasons of cost and because a furnace can more easily maintain warm temperatures when the difference between the temperature outside and inside increases.

http://www.furnacecompare.com/heat-pumps/
Old 11-05-2012, 05:49 AM   #13
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,724

Heat Pump??????

There are 1,000s and 1,000s of heat pumps being used in PA. They heat cheaper then oil or LP, and in most places in PA cheaper then natural gas. They provide economical heat at outdoor temps well below 32 degrees. They do require an aux heat source which is often electrical strip heaters in an air handler.

Pellet prices vary by area. So a pellet stove may heat your addition cheaper then a heat pump would. Of course with a heat pump you don't need to store several 40 pound bags of pellets.

If you are already planning on having central A/C in the addition. Upgrading to a heat pump instead of just straight A/c doesn't cost much more.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:01 AM   #14

Heat Pump??????

Thanks been there!!! So i dont need an additional heat source like a pellet stove. The heat strips will be enough to push out eat when temps are very cold correct?
Old 11-05-2012, 04:12 PM   #15
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,724

Heat Pump??????

Quote:
Originally Posted by crk217 View Post
Thanks been there!!! So i dont need an additional heat source like a pellet stove. The heat strips will be enough to push out eat when temps are very cold correct?
They have to be sized to your homes/additions heat loss. but thats all you need for aux and emergency heat.

1,000s of homes around here only have a heat pump and electric aux heat, no other form of back up.

Advertisement

beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote