Heat Exchanger?? - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2008, 09:27 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 4
Rewards Points: 10
Unhappy

Heat Exchanger??


Can anyone help me in regards to replacing or repairing a heat exchanger. Can these be repaired or replaced? Is it cost effective to replace the exchanger or would we be further aheadd replacing the full furnance. It is a gas Heil dc90 approximatley 12 years old. Any suggestions or information, would sure be appreciated. Thanks!

Richard

Advertisement

sunsetacres1318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 10:15 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: palm coast fl
Posts: 588
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Heat Exchanger??


Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetacres1318 View Post
Can anyone help me in regards to replacing or repairing a heat exchanger. Can these be repaired or replaced? Is it cost effective to replace the exchanger or would we be further aheadd replacing the full furnance. It is a gas Heil dc90 approximatley 12 years old. Any suggestions or information, would sure be appreciated. Thanks!

Richard
cant be repaired ,usually under warranty for 20 yrs
must be licensed to have supplier exchange the heat exchanger for you
labor runs from 650 to 1000 dollars

Advertisement

kennzz05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 11:46 PM   #3
An old Tradesmen
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 26,573
Rewards Points: 4,784
Default

Heat Exchanger??


I would have a contractor find the cause of the failure.
Then, I would op for the heat exchanger credit, and get a new furnace.
Yes, it must be another Heil.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 06:19 PM   #4
Mechanically Inclined
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Southern Wisconsin
Posts: 39
Rewards Points: 25
Default

Heat Exchanger??


I've noticed in a few threads people were quoted $600-1000 labor to replace a heat exchanger, and one hvac tech siad it takes about 3 hours. So it costs $300 an hour to do this? Trying to get a grasp on this.
diggerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 06:55 PM   #5
Member
 
hvaclover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Suburbs of Detroit Mi
Posts: 3,704
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Heat Exchanger??


Quote:
Originally Posted by diggerdave View Post
I've noticed in a few threads people were quoted $600-1000 labor to replace a heat exchanger, and one hvac tech siad it takes about 3 hours. So it costs $300 an hour to do this? Trying to get a grasp on this.

Most companies prefer to just replace the furnace so the price is high to dissuade heat exchanger change. That's not to say that this is motivated by greed, rather, when a furnace is over ten years it's usually better to just replace it since the current models available are a better choice.
__________________
Just slow, not stupid.
hvaclover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 06:57 PM   #6
Member
 
hvaclover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Suburbs of Detroit Mi
Posts: 3,704
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Heat Exchanger??


Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
I would have a contractor find the cause of the failure.
Then, I would op for the heat exchanger credit, and get a new furnace.
Yes, it must be another Heil.

That furnace was just a POS Been. I had too many go belly up on me to be able to say it was install related.
__________________
Just slow, not stupid.
hvaclover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 11:15 AM   #7
HVAC / Plumbing
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,801
Rewards Points: 1,000
Default

Heat Exchanger??


Quote:
Originally Posted by hvaclover View Post
That furnace was just a POS Been.

Agreed. Are they still made by inner city ( something like that))products ?? I have seen several with cracked heat exchangers

Advertisement

kenmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
carrier/payne furnace heat exchanger issues gomongo1 HVAC 9 11-29-2014 09:29 PM
Cracked heat Exchanger darman16 HVAC 4 10-27-2008 10:11 AM
Cracked Heat Exchanger SusanB. HVAC 12 10-14-2008 04:57 PM
Adding Geothermal heat exchanger to window unit richinok HVAC 4 06-23-2008 07:59 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts