Heat & A/c Garage - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-28-2011, 06:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

heat & a/c garage

Can You Tap Into Air Conditioner Duct To Add Additional Vents

Advertisement

W.R. Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 07:29 PM   #2
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 720

heat & a/c garage

For where? Is the unit installed in the garage and feeding the house?

Advertisement

Old 07-28-2011, 07:47 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

heat & a/c garage

I think you are asking how to add heat and A/C to a garage?

Rather than add ducting from existing house HVAC, I opted for a separate unit allowing for the garage to be a separately controlled zone. I added a PTAC (packaged terminal air conditioning) unit to my ~500 sq ft garage - this is a unit like those used in hotel rooms, tyically mounted under a window. Mine is made by GE, is heat pump and A/C, has separate thermostat, automatically comes on a 40 and 80 degrees to protect from freezing/overheating, etc. Mounted high in a side wall - make an opening frame much like a window, install the metal sleeve for the unit in the opening, slide the unit into the metal sleeve, connect power, and enjoy the comfort.

You could also go with a mini-split unit. Like the PTAC but rather than all-in-one, a separate air handler hung on the inside and compressor unit outside.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:07 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

heat & a/c garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
I think you are asking how to add heat and A/C to a garage?

Rather than add ducting from existing house HVAC, I opted for a separate unit allowing for the garage to be a separately controlled zone. I added a PTAC (packaged terminal air conditioning) unit to my ~500 sq ft garage - this is a unit like those used in hotel rooms, tyically mounted under a window. Mine is made by GE, is heat pump and A/C, has separate thermostat, automatically comes on a 40 and 80 degrees to protect from freezing/overheating, etc. Mounted high in a side wall - make an opening frame much like a window, install the metal sleeve for the unit in the opening, slide the unit into the metal sleeve, connect power, and enjoy the comfort.

You could also go with a mini-split unit. Like the PTAC but rather than all-in-one, a separate air handler hung on the inside and compressor unit outside.
Did you improve the insulation? How about the garage doors?

**Always kill the power ** Hot air rises, but heat will always move from higher to lower temperatures. ** Real man shoot in manual. ** If it ain't grounded, it ain't dead.
JJboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 09:06 PM   #5
30 year tech

Rewards Points: 250

heat & a/c garage

It is illegal to tap into house duct for the garage. Not sure if that is what you needed to know.

You don't want to bring carbon monoxide into the living area.
hvac122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 09:43 PM   #6

heat & a/c garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJboy View Post
Did you improve the insulation? How about the garage doors?
OK, this sounds like you are wanting to do a attached garage conversion [to living space]. This is something that is very much looked at in some localities, so be sure you investigate your requirements and get the conversion permitted. There are safety, property setbacks, and others things to consider.

In my case I did not do what my city considers a garage conversion. We use the attached garage as a hobby room - primariy my wife's sewing/quilting and my ham radio. Walls are room finished with drywall and trimmed, walls and ceiling are insulated, etc. I did obtain a permit for electrical (240v power to the PTAC, new lighting and outlet circuits) and structure (the opening framed in the load bearing exterior wall for the PTAC unit). The garage door is still in place and the garage can still be used for vehicle parking (with having to move out a whole bunch of stuff of course, like many garages). The garage door and being able to still get a vehicle in there are what made it not a garage conversion.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:59 PM   #7

heat & a/c garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
OK, this sounds like you are wanting to do a attached garage conversion [to living space]. This is something that is very much looked at in some localities, so be sure you investigate your requirements and get the conversion permitted. There are safety, property setbacks, and others things to consider.

In my case I did not do what my city considers a garage conversion. We use the attached garage as a hobby room - primariy my wife's sewing/quilting and my ham radio. Walls are room finished with drywall and trimmed, walls and ceiling are insulated, etc. I did obtain a permit for electrical (240v power to the PTAC, new lighting and outlet circuits) and structure (the opening framed in the load bearing exterior wall for the PTAC unit). The garage door is still in place and the garage can still be used for vehicle parking (with having to move out a whole bunch of stuff of course, like many garages). The garage door and being able to still get a vehicle in there are what made it not a garage conversion.
I converted my garage in photography studio. My garage is the same as your, walls and ceiling are insulated. I installed 12000BTU portable AC but is not enough to cooling. I don't want to close the garage doors, I don't want to the area be added in my property tax.

What is your PTAC model?

**Always kill the power ** Hot air rises, but heat will always move from higher to lower temperatures. ** Real man shoot in manual. ** If it ain't grounded, it ain't dead.
Old 07-29-2011, 01:04 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 334

heat & a/c garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJboy View Post
I converted my garage in photography studio. My garage is the same as your, walls and ceiling are insulated. I installed 12000BTU portable AC but is not enough to cooling. I don't want to close the garage doors, I don't want to the area be added in my property tax.

What is your PTAC model?
I dont feel like doing any research at the moment but as far as I know, PTAC's dont go any higher than 15,000 btu.

Your best bet really would be to have a mini split system installed, you can get any size you need and from what I hear, they heat very well. They can also be had in super efficient models and some tend to be very quiet to operate.
sammy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 01:49 AM   #9

heat & a/c garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy37 View Post
I dont feel like doing any research at the moment but as far as I know, PTAC's dont go any higher than 15,000 btu.

Your best bet really would be to have a mini split system installed, you can get any size you need and from what I hear, they heat very well. They can also be had in super efficient models and some tend to be very quiet to operate.
Yes, typically ~15000 is largest PTAC - mine is ~12000 if I recall. I am in SoCal inland - summer days get well into 90's and the unit keeps the garage cold. ~500 sq ft, R13 in walls, R30 in ceiling, steel uninsulated 16' north-facing garage door.

I have been researching mini-splits for a coming master bedroom addition. Higher cost than PTAC plus you add in some bring-up installation costs. Quiet of of a mini-split vs. PTAC is a factor to consider. I will go with a PTAC for the bedroom project. If I had a do-over in the garage, I would stay with the PTAC.

Last edited by vsheetz; 07-29-2011 at 01:53 AM.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 02:02 AM   #10

heat & a/c garage

My portable is Amcor PLM16000E I'm thinking of putting a insulated duct to distribute the air in the center of the garage. Also replace the exhaust

Advertisement