Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-24-2012, 10:21 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Heat or Air won't turn off from Thermostat

hello,

I'm having a problem with my heat turning off from the thermostat. I have a heatpump unit outside and the heat furnaces are in the attic (at least I believe this is so). I recently installed a new programmable themostat, because the old one that came with the house (ie. built in 1999) appeared to be faulty. i say this because on occassion my heat wouldn't turn off with this one too. I would sometimes have to remove the face plate and reconnect to get the heat or air to turn off. So I intalled a new one and all was fine for a few months until now. I have even taken the new thermostat off and the heat is still on. Is there a way to manually turn off the unit? I have tried cutting off the heat from the circuit box and still no success. I don't think this is just a heat issue but an over all unit issue not responding to the thermostat. Any ideas will be most helpful.

Thanks,
TD

tdsilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 03:16 PM   #2
HVAC Tech/ Browns Fan

Rewards Points: 500

Sound like you have heat sequencer stuck closed. You may need a pro on this one due to high voltage.

Tator1076 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 05:13 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

Agreed. You will have a heat pump breaker for each unit,an electric element breaker for each and an air handler breaker for each so a total of 6 double breakers. I'd find the breakers to that one unit and shut it down for the weekend,no need for an emergency service call.
Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 06:28 PM   #4

There's a power plug in a box near the heat pump. If I remove the plug will this turn the heat off? Or do I have to turn it off on the unit in the attic?
If the problem turns out to be the heat sequencer how much should I expect to pay to have this repaired?
Lastly, I have a dual zone unit where the other thermostat is upstairs. If this works does that help me to narrow down the problem?

Thanks,
T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S. View Post
Agreed. You will have a heat pump breaker for each unit,an electric element breaker for each and an air handler breaker for each so a total of 6 double breakers. I'd find the breakers to that one unit and shut it down for the weekend,no need for an emergency service call.

Last edited by tdsilk; 02-24-2012 at 06:30 PM. Reason: had another question
Old 02-25-2012, 01:10 PM   #5
HVAC Tech/ Browns Fan

If the problem turns out to be the heat sequencer how much should I expect to pay to have this repaired? Its hard telling how much. We charge trip/ dig at 85.00 dollars then the part any were from 70.00 and up That includes labor.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:47 PM   #6

ran into this problem a few weeks ago. sequencer will prob run you from a known ac company about 200 depending on how old the unit is. your strips might be bad so get them checked if its staying on turn off the circuit breaker. you mgiht be better off replacing if its old just opinion.
Bigpapi08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:28 AM   #7
HVAC Tech/ Browns Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigpapi08 View Post
ran into this problem a few weeks ago. sequencer will prob run you from a known ac company about 200 depending on how old the unit is. your strips might be bad so get them checked if its staying on turn off the circuit breaker. you mgiht be better off replacing if its old just opinion.
If you read post saying heat will not shut off. I think heat strips are not bad. Plus most case if heat strips had a break it will trip out breaker.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:28 PM   #8

Had a heating and repair provider come out and everything checked out. Looks like the TSTAT is the culprit. I will change the TSTAT and see what happens.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:22 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,000

You eliminated the thermostat as the issue already,removed it and heat stayed on, so don't waste money on a third thermostat.
Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:06 AM   #10
HVAC Tech/ Browns Fan

How long was he there? Did you tell him heat was staying on even if the stat was off? I hate to say it he be back. I'm with Marty no need of a 3rd stat
Old 02-28-2012, 07:11 AM   #11
thermal-medics.com

Rewards Points: 25

did the hvac company that came out swap in a new t-stat for you or just diagnose and bail?

Is there a chance there is draft or gap in the wall where the t-stat is that is 'feeling' cool air behind it,

Are you sure the air blowing out at the registers is hot air and not just air recirculating from the house via the blower motor.

you have a heat pump with aux heat strips, right or just a heat pump?

just curious if you have any of this info
thermal-medics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:21 AM   #12
HVAC Tech/ Browns Fan

You say in top post you had stat off and still not shut off. To me its not stat. Heat sequencer or bare t-stat wiring touching each other. That can be mouse in the wall chewing the wires but most the time low 5 amp fuse will blow
Old 02-28-2012, 09:45 AM   #13

Here are the steps the HVAC guy performed:

1. pulled the plug from the circuit box to the heating unit to power the system off.
2. ran test with volt meters and other testing tools to determine if there were any problems at the unit. no problems were detected.
3. checked to see if there was a signal from the tstat to the unit. no signal was detected.
4. checked outdoor heatpump units for problems. Other than a compacitor they will need to be changed in the future no problems were detected.
5. determined that it was the tstat. visually checked wiring and it looked correct.
6. offered to replace tstat for $220 (u kidding me!!!).
7. HVAC guy left with unit still running and I told him I would try installing a new tstat to see what happens.
8. purchased a honeywell rth2410 at Lowes.

I noticed that after the hvac guy left that the unit went off by itself after I adjusted the heat down on the old unit.
After purchasing the new tstat I powered the unit off from the circuit box and installed the new tstat. I turned the fan
on from the tstat and it responded immediately. However, the heat didn't come back on. It may be a wiring issue.
I will recheck the wires later and see if all is well. Btw, my unit is a carrier heatpump and the wire colors are:
red, green, yellow, white, orange, and black

The tstat has ports for Red(2 ports with a jumper wire connecting both ports) Green Yellow Orange Black White
Old 02-28-2012, 10:19 AM   #14
thermal-medics.com

Rewards Points: 25

should be a straightforward hook up. sometimes it is in the programming of the thing - reversing valve energized in cooling or heating - make sure it is set to a heat pump. If he saw the wiring was good then i would pull the face plate and look at Tator's idea of stripped wire touching. but you would need a few wires touching to make the whole show happen.

Just curious:

1. if the 2nd t-stat worked after the service guy took off how come you changed it again?

2.does the unit run alooooong time after satisfying temperature? so say you are set to 73degrees, does it go to 73 run forever or blow past that to say 75 (without you changing the t-stat setting) then shut off or just keep goin and goin and goin till you are sweating...and then you shut it off?

3.Does the unit take a long time to heat the house from say 65 to 70? Just wondering.
thermal-medics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:20 AM   #15

@termal-medics

1. I wasn't really sure if it was the adjustment of the old t-stat to cause it to turn off because it was immediate. In the past as soon as I adjusted the temp down from the current/set temp it would shut off.

2. With the old t-stat in the past I programmed it to autom shut off/on at certian times and days. This seemed to be working fine until one day it just kept running and running with no way to shut it off from the t-stat.

3. My house has very high celilings and is not insullated properly so in the great room which is a open area it takes a while to get comfortable. However, in my bedroom the heat is almost instant.

I will play with this a little more after work today to see if I can get everything working right. I just want to make sure I have the wiring correct for the new t-stat. It's a little different than the previous one that the TECH said was wired correctly.