Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-30-2012, 05:22 AM   #1

Share |

Heat a 3 season porch

I'd like to put heat into an unheated three-season porch. I'm looking for advice on what to install and venting considerations.

The porch has a large hot tub in it. The room is about 400 square feet. The floor covering is an aggregate/epoxy. The south half of the room under the hot tub has an uninsulated crawl space below it. The remainder of the room is about 1 foot above grade.

I live in the cold north woods. In the winter, we've kept the room above freezing with a space heater even in below zero weather.

My plan is to first hire someone to spray foam insulation in the crawl space and under the porch floor in the 1 foot space between the ground and the underside of the north side of the porch.

Then I'd like to add some kind of wall mounted heater or perhaps solar heat as there is a nice south-facing roof above the room. I have a breaker box (Think that's what its called?) right in the room, so wiring should be fairly easy.

There is some kind of chimney/venting that runs up on the inside wall in the room but I'm not sure what it's for/why it is there. House was built in the 1980's and the porch was put on later, so the wall with the chimney was originally an outside wall. I don't think it has anything to do with the current house heat as the furnace is in another part of the house and vented out with pvc pipe.

We don't plan to keep the heat high (70 degrees) in the room in the winter, but would like to have the ability to do so if needed and we'd like to get rid of the space heater.

Advice?

Having AC would be a nice plus, but not a primary goal.

Last edited by green.willow; 06-30-2012 at 05:43 AM.
green.willow is offline   Reply With Quote