Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-03-2011, 05:33 PM   #1

Share |

Having trouble installing a new thermostat

This is my first visit to your forums here, and I'm hoping desperately that you folks can help me out. First off, I will readily admit that I consider myself very proficient at 90% of home tasks... however HVAC work is the one realm I've never before delved into.... so far not turning out so well....

I currently have a Bryant Plus 80V furnace, connected to a Honeywell Digital Round Non-Programmable Thermostat.

Due to current situations, I have to change the location of the thermostat..... so I've been left with the choice of either running new wires through my walls and attic, or switching to a wireless... I opted for the latter.

I purchased the ICS TS820 model, and I've run into a bit of a snag. I've researched as much as I could on the internet, and now that I know what my problem is, I need help finding a solution.

My original model of thermostat did not use the common (blue) wire... so on both the thermostat and furnace end, it is sectioned off to the side. I have all other wires connected properly (G, Y, W, and Rh), but I am lost on how to connect Rc. I've looked at the wiring diagram on the furnace, and I see a port for 24V Com... currently with a red and white wire already in it. I tried connecting my Rc into that, but it didn't work.

So now I'm hoping you folks can help me with my final step and getting the beast up and running.

Just in case it makes it easier.... this is the wiring panel inside my furnace...

Khaos2639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 05:48 PM   #2
Hvac Pro

put a jumper between Rh and Rc (look carefully it may be there already). if you have a really old setup with separate transformers in the furnace for heating and another for cooling then you remove the jumper, you don't. surprised they did not tell you that in the install manual. put the R from the furnace on either rh or rc Max no difference.

Last edited by yuri; 08-03-2011 at 05:52 PM.
yuri is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to yuri For This Useful Post:
Khaos2639 (08-03-2011)
Old 08-03-2011, 05:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuri View Post
put a jumper between Rh and Rc. if you have a really old setup with separate transformers in the furnace for heating and another for cooling then you remove the jumper. surprised they did not tell you that in the install manual. put the R from the furnace on either rh or rc Max no difference.
I did see that advice in one website I went to. This may sound silly, but just for clarification.... when you say jumper, is that as simple as running the red into the Rh, and then running a short wire from Rh into Rc?... or is it something more indepth than that?
Old 08-03-2011, 05:54 PM   #4
Hvac Pro

You got it, just that simple.

Make sure there is NO bare exposed wiring from the jumper. One of my newbies did that and shorted another wire onto it.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:54 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuri View Post
You got it, just that simple.
I tried that before and it didn't work
Old 08-03-2011, 05:59 PM   #6
Hvac Pro

check that purple 3 amp fuse on the board if it is blown. you may have shorted/damaged the thermostat when you stuck the Rc onto that 24v port. is there a 1-800 help # with the tstat. if it needs a C wire did you hook that up to a wire and then connect it to the board. won't work w/o the C.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:17 PM   #7
Retired from the grind

If using a Wireless thermostat, you need 24v, which the C will supply hooked up to the thermostat.
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 06:20 PM   #8
Hvac Pro

R is hot and C is common/return (no voltage on it) to the transformer and in most furnaces now grounded.

Last edited by yuri; 08-03-2011 at 06:24 PM.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:30 PM   #9

Ok... apparently I'm a complete idiot.

Just to test to make sure I hadn't messed something up in the furnace, I re-hooked up the old one and it wouldn't turn on. Then I realized there's a sensor switch that refuses to let the works turn on if the control panel door is open.. as soon as I closed that the old thermostat turned right on.

Though this appears to have created a brand new problem... the furnace wouldn't turn on, and a steady yellow light was on in the status area... no idea what that means... I close the door, the green light comes on for a split second, then it switches to yellow and that stays on indefinitely....

Anywho, I'm going to go switch back to the new one, and see if it works with the door closed now that I know about that.... any advice on the light problem?
Old 08-03-2011, 06:36 PM   #10
Hvac Pro

there is an error code legend on the wiring diagram on the back of one of the furnace doors. should tell what those lights mean. the switch is called a door switch.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:42 PM   #11

Hooked the new one back up... won't turn on... apparently a steady status light means the power is on...
Old 08-03-2011, 06:46 PM   #12
Hvac Pro

CAREFULLY take all the wires off the circuit board and label them B4 taking them off. ex R= red etc etc. Then put a jumper wire between R and W1, then press door switch in. fan may run for 90 secs and give you an error code. ignore it and wait 30 secs. if the heat comes on normally then the circuit board may be OK. if not then the board may be damaged or you need a Carrier or Bryant tech to help you. same company owns them.

Last edited by yuri; 08-03-2011 at 06:49 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to yuri For This Useful Post:
Khaos2639 (08-03-2011)
Old 08-03-2011, 06:50 PM   #13
Retired from the grind

http://icshvac.com/ICS%20TS820%20stat.pdf
Instructions http://icshvac.com/ICS%20TS820%20instructions.pdf

Last edited by gregzoll; 08-03-2011 at 07:33 PM.
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 07:28 PM   #14

Ok... it's running with the old thermostat installed... everything is good now.... so I'm officially back to where I started.

I'm going to leave it alone for about a half hour or so.... get the house back to a livable tempature... no air conditioning when it's 85 out isn't fun...
Old 08-03-2011, 07:37 PM   #15

Ok... I just couldn't leave well enough alone... too much of a desire to get the new one working....

And it doesn't. Any other ideas other than jumping?