Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-16-2008, 10:04 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Having some trouble with gas heat.

Hey guys! new here and hoping somebody has some info for me :D..

3 nights ago our gas heater quit blowing hot air. A service guy came over and noticed the fan above the burners was shot. I could tap it, get the fan going and it would blow hot air until the furnace cycled off then it would need to be tapped again. So i purchased a fan and put it on. The fan comes on fine but the flame is coming back to switch(not sure of its name but it cuts off the igniter when it gets to hot). This was not a issue before. The fan is spinning the same direction as the other and actually seems to spin faster than the original. I called a service man back over who looked at it and said the burners needed cleaned. He proceded to clean them and the same thing happened. He said bad heat exhanger took the lid off and they are fine! no rusting cracks or anything like that. He then said "heat exchangers are clogged, replace the unit or get some kerosene heaters" Am i mistaken assuming the heat exchangers can't be cleaned? Is there anything else that could be causeing this? The fan is hooked up correctly. A new unit isn't in the cards for a few months and we really don't wanna go the kerosene route. Any advice would be much appreciated, It's cold out :D

letha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 10:12 PM   #2
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 2,424

Post the make, model#, serial# and age of the unit so we know which one it is. That fan is a draft inducer (creates proper amount of draft thru the heat exchanger). You may have the wrong one, wrong rpm. Some of them have a restrictor plate/orifice and you may be missing it. Sounds like you do not have enough draft (although the pressure switch should shut the unit down) and the flame rollout switch is tripping. You may have a clogged heat exchanger or cracks in it/popped compression rings. They may be hard to see and only a experienced tech familiar with that unit will know where they crack etc. Post your model info and we may recognize it. Heat exchangers on modern furnaces are very small, tight, sometimes tubular and most are next to impossible to clean.

yuri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 10:13 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

Need more info., make and model#. Standard or high effiency approximate age.
SKIP4661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 10:38 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Thank you guys. I will get out in the morning and get that information. Its just driving me crazy as it was working before the fan swap. As far as the fan being wrong i thought that too and put the old one back on and it's doing the same thing.

I know it's not anywhere near a new one and certainly not energy efficent I'm just trying to slap a band aid on it till first of the year when i can replace it. Anyways thank you guys i'll get the info and post it up in the morning.
letha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 06:51 AM   #5
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 2,944

You probably knocked some rust loose in the heat exchanger when you changed inducers, and its restricting.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote