Hard Start For Compressor - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-13-2013, 07:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,022

Hard start for compressor

A bit off target (tried appliance section but not much satisfaction).
In-law's GE ca5dmb freezer stopped working.

Compressor kicks on for 5-10 seconds then shuts off no matter thermostat setting.
I tested the leads from the compressor to compressor housing and got no continuity (not internally shorted).
I think it is one of two "relays" that plug into the compressor (each has a single wire going to them).

I think the top one is an overheat one (that had continuity when disconnected from compressor after it kicked off and before it did so so I don't think it is that).
The bottom "relay" has two terminals that plug into lugs from the compressor and I'm guessing it is a start capacitor?
It had continuity but I've no capacitor tester.

Appliance section recommended: "You can get whats called a three in one put in place of yor relay and overload to see if its going to run but I would not leave it if it runs replace your componets and off you go.
http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/hv...-14-13-hp-230v"
and
"get the RCO810 3 in 1 "
My question (not answered and in-law is pestering me (no good deed goes unpunished!)):
If I put in the URCO810 (same as RC0810?) is it ok to leave it if it works?
I'm more worried about a fire than anything else.
I read elsewhere that hard start kits shorten life of compressors?

Thanks for any insights,
Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Hard start for compressor-freezer.jpg  

Advertisement

Last edited by bob22; 01-13-2013 at 08:15 PM.
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:37 PM   #2
I'm Your Huckleberry

Rewards Points: 2,270

You heard wrong. While I'm not familiar with the the model numbers you're posting I am very familiar with hard start kits, 5-2-1 Compressor Savers mostly. Note the name is Saver and not Destroyer. Since a hard start collects amplified electricity it shoves the compressor quicker into it's run speed. The faster a compressor gets up to run speed the less stress (heat) is on the start winding thus prolonging the life of a compressor.

Hard starts kits are nothing more than a huge capacitor with a relay. As soon as the compressor is running the relay kicks the start capacitor out of circuit. We're talking a fraction of a second and the start kit is out of circuit.

Also note that it's called a start kit and not a run kit. Again, because the relay kicks the cap out of circuit. It's only used to start a compressor, not run it. That'd be the run capacitor which stays in circuit.

Advertisement

Old 01-13-2013, 08:21 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,022

Doc,
Thanks! I edited my original post (a freezer not HVAC equip but principals are the same).
My concern is the freezer has two parts that plug into the compressor lugs: one on top is I think the overload and goes into one lug; the lower (two lugs) I'm guessing is a start capacitor?
I'm not sure which Supco item is best one for application: The top three pictured items all seem to do same things?
At http://www.supco.com/images/pdfs/Ult...O%20Series.pdf
Any guidance is appreciated,
Bob
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:54 PM   #4
I'm Your Huckleberry

Rewards Points: 2,270

just as long as you know the hp/btu rating of the compressor and match it is the most important. otherwise they all do the same thing.