Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-26-2007, 07:12 PM   #1

Share |

Happy with new furnace - ready for winter

Just had my 31 year old Rheem behemoth 60% furnace replaced with an Amana Amh95 furnace. New furnace is about 1/3 the physical size of the old one.

Total cost for removal of the old one and the new furnace (70,000btu) was $2500. Since this was in a crawl space under the house in tight quarters, I am relieved that the job went smoothly. The 95% new furnace avoided a big headache and additional cost since the code has changed from the original installation. The gas water heater and the old furnace shared the same chimney, which is not permitted now. The new 95% exhausts through a pvc pipe through a wall in the back of the house.

Will get $150 federal money back because of the upgrade. In Oregon there are additional rebates but these just apply to the variable speed blower model furnaces (which are substantially more expensive).
kayakertom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 07:48 PM   #2

I think you got a good deal - I have been pricing a gas furnace, 80K-100K BTU and have received quotes around $4,000 - $4,500.
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 01:33 AM   #3

It still was a little painfull to write the two checks for $1,250.

Should add that an electrician friend and I prepped the area beforehand (about 3 hours total); removed some old wiring and old lamps, we added 3 new light fixtures (hvac guy said the good lighting helped with the installation), a gfi outlet (for the dehumidifier) and a separate 15 A dedicated furnace circuit with mc whip and disconnect and a 12 gage ground wire to the gas pipe. If I had to pay for this work, that would have been probably another $800.

The hvac guy and a helper took 7 hours for the job and there will be another hour for the inspection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
I think you got a good deal - I have been pricing a gas furnace, 80K-100K BTU and have received quotes around $4,000 - $4,500.
kayakertom is offline   Reply With Quote