Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-04-2013, 07:45 PM   #1

Share |

Hacked Install I saw today

Before I get to that: I'm NOT a heating or cooling contractor. I do not know as much as one when it comes to HVAC, but I do know my fair share. If you have any questions, please private message me.
[hr]
I saw this today at a local video store and thought I should share it. Please note that I took this with my cell phone camera and the quality is not very good at all.

BThis furnace is obviously a hacked installed. It's one of those Bryant Twinned Atmospheric-Vent Models.

I'm not 100% sure on this, but I'm certain that if the furnaces were running in heat mode, in the setup they are in (the furnaces share a common vent) that the flue gases would spill out of the other furnace's draft diverter. Like I said, I'm not 100% sure, but pretty sure. This would result in CO spillage.

On a side note, the electrical was horrible. The wires were actually hanging out of the J-Box. Also, there was stuff piled in front of the furnace.

I'd like everyone's opinion. Also, I'm wondering if I should bring this up to the manager who manages the video store that these furnaces heat/cool?
Attached Thumbnails
Hacked Install I saw today-cam00467.jpg  

ModelAFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:49 PM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Only reason for the flue gasses to spill out of the other dilution hood, is if the chimney doesn't have enough draft for the furnace that would be running. Or if the store is in a negative pressure. Which in either case it would spill out of the hood the furnace that was running then.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:26 PM   #3
Retired from the grind

If you feel that they could create a hazard, show this to the local fire department. If they rent from there, they probably would be more than happy to do a courtesy fire safety inspection.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
yuri (06-04-2013)
Old 06-04-2013, 10:31 PM   #4
Hvac Pro

That is true. Where I am they inspect all kinds of Commercial businesses for free and if someone reports it they will show up and politely ask if they can inspect it. If refused they may call the gas authority or at least send a concerned letter to the owner and tell him it is now documented. I wonder if it has any combustion air from outside to supply those units when that door is closed. That is very dangerous if it doesn't.
Old 06-05-2013, 05:21 AM   #5

Thanks everyone. Like I said, I'm not a HVAC tech but hope to someday become a HVAC tech in about the next couple years.

I'm thinking about pointing this out to the lady who manages the store. But thanks! Like I said, I wasn't 100% sure about the chimney gases spilling out of the front of the other furnace, but I guess they wouldn't.

But the electrical wires powering this furnace were sticking out of the J-Box. Wouldn't that be considered "dangerous" too, especially when they were sticking out right next to the gas line?
Old 06-05-2013, 05:26 AM   #6
An old Tradesmen

The wires should be in the box and its cover on. Only dangerous if the connector comes off and it sparks against the gas line and open a hole in it.

Pointing these things out is the right thing to do. may not be met with a good response. might have been done by her husband/son or some relative that "use" to do HVAC.
Old 06-05-2013, 05:50 AM   #7

Also, if I'm correct, these furnaces are over 20 years old.

Plus, there was stuff piled in front of the furnace. I'd be truly amazed if someone serviced this thing.

Look at what I found in my attachment! Amazing what Google will find.

The date code on this manual says 12/89 (not pictured as it says it on the second page.) That is a little over 20 years.
Attached Images

Old 06-05-2013, 07:31 AM   #8
Retired from the grind

Also to throw it out there, you can even have the fire department do a courtesy safety inspection of your own home, point out things like stock piling of chemicals that should not be together, which can create a large hazard during a fire, give you pointers on where to place fire extinguishers, check CO levels, etc..

Some will also bring a couple of Smoke detectors with them to give to you, and even put them up, if you do not have them already.

But as for that rental place, it is not a Family Video per chance is it?
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 06-05-2013, 08:00 AM   #9

I really don't understand what you mean by Family Video. It's an independently-owned video store, owned by a lady.

I rent my own house, and it is okay. My house has a CO alarm, two smoke detectors. Plus, I have a Goodman 80% from 2008 with a US Craftmaster Water Heater, both of which are the only gas appliances in my home.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:05 AM   #10
Retired from the grind

Family Video is a large privately owned video/game rental business here in the Midwest, that pretty much put Block buster & Hollywood Video out of business in Illinois and Wisconsin.

As for this lady that owns this place, the electrical is a big red flag, and as for the hvac equipment, also another red flag. Most people are not aware of the dangers of this stuff, until a fire happens, then even then, they are still clueless why the fire happened.
Old 06-05-2013, 03:12 PM   #11
An old Tradesmen

Bring it to the ladies attention. She might tell you its been like that for X years and never had a problem. or that she doesn't have the money to fix it.

Remember, she can be closed down if the local authorities decide its unsafe for occupancy.
Old 06-05-2013, 04:31 PM   #12

Like I said, I'm no HVAC tech but I do know my fair share of HVAC. I just don't know the more "advanced" stuff, but do know the basics like the parts and the setup of one.

That is why I posted it on here. I wanted actual technician's advice (beenthere and yuri.) I was unsure of the flue pipe, but I'm CERTAIN that the wires hanging out of the J-Box is dangerous, even though they have a wire nut on them.

I had to return a couple DVD's to this place earlier, and was going to bring it to the ladies attention, but she was busy with another costumer.

For gregzoll: This is not a Family Video. From what I can tell, it's a family-run video store called "Video Store South" or something like that.

I'm not trying to get her red-flagged or shut down, I just want people (i.e. the customers and the owner of the store) to be safe.

Also, I'd just LOVE to see their condenser. I bet it's hacked to death as well. Probably crooked, fan motor wiring sticking out of fan grille, and capacitor hanging out of the electrical panel. It's probably been visited by the run cap bandit.

Last edited by ModelAFan; 06-05-2013 at 04:34 PM.
Old 06-05-2013, 04:44 PM   #13
An old Tradesmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModelAFan View Post
It's probably been visited by the run cap bandit.
ROFL.
Old 06-05-2013, 04:52 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
ROFL.
We normally don't have a problem with hacks here, but a local big company that sells Lennox and Bryant are pretty big hacks. I once saw a Lennox Heat Pump installed by that big company that used bare (no conduit) romex wiring and had no outdoor disconnect.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:45 PM   #15
Hvac Pro

You have video stores? Went out with the Dinosaurs a few yrs ago didn't they? Netflix wiped them out where I am plus you can order any movie from the big Cable companies online where I am, even the Adult stuff. No skulking around in the grocery/video store anymore. Ahem, I know nothing about that just happen to see some dudes with brown bags walkin out and we don't have liquor in our stores, just Gov't run liquor stores.

Last edited by yuri; 06-05-2013 at 06:49 PM.
yuri is online now   Reply With Quote