Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-15-2009, 10:49 AM   #1

Share |

Goodman Rollout switch problem?

I have a Goodman PGB 030075-1 Furnace and A/C Unit, approx 10 years old. This morning we woke up to a cold house.

Troubleshoot down to a small "reset" switch which sits directly above the burners and is electrically in line with the gas valve. Looking at the diagram, I'm guessing this is called a rollout switch?

I did need to reset it a second time, but running ok for the last hour. I need to replace the switch or can you guys think of any other reason this might have happened.

Thanks!
Kevin

Thermographer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 11:06 AM   #2

It could be the switch or it could be a very serious problem. A cracked heat exchanger can cause the RO switch to trip. RO switches trip when the flame rolls out to where it doesn't belong.

Whatever you do don't just keep resetting the switch. Any condition that actually causes roll out is very dangerous and could lead to fire or Carbon Monoxide poisoning.

jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 03:13 PM   #3
An old Tradesmen

Could be a flue restriction, or your HX could be cracked.

That switch is normally closed(on), it only opens if it over heats.
So the only way it would wear out, and need replaced, is if something else is also wrong, and you keep resetting it.

It is a safety device. To protect you and others from being killed by the furnace.

Have it checked, so you and your family can be around for a long long time to come.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 03:22 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies..

A bit more reading and a little wiser. I did hit the reset button twice, but it's working fine now. I did put my meter across the switch and it is reading closed.

I opened and inspected the flue, and checked the forced air fan, cleaned the fan blades. I also looked at the flame to see any changes when the air handler came on, but that looks good too. New batteries in the carbon monoxide detector.

Inspection of the heat exchanger is next. Thanks!
Thermographer is offline   Reply With Quote