Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-13-2010, 05:17 PM   #1

Share |

Goodman Heatpump problem solved!

I have a two year old 2 1/2 ton goodman heatpump that recently stopped heating or cooling. I called a service tech from a respected local contractor. After checking the outside unit for a short time he told me the compressor was bad. Although the compressor was running, there was no pressure. While I was dealing with the warranty issue with an online supplier, I decided to do a little troubleshooting on my own. I just couldn't beleive a two year old compressor was bad. After reading lots of online posts that directed me to many possible faults, I started at the control voltages. All were good. Then I checked the reversing valve. First I disconnected the condenser fan wires, so the fan wouldn't come on during testing. I put the thermostat in heat mode and move the temp up about three degrees. The unit came on and was making a loud modulating noise from the compressor. I used an unorthodox method utilizing a golf club ha! ha! I know what your thinking. I used a old one iron to reach down through the top of the unit and tap on the reversing valve. After a few hard taps the compressor quited down. I reconnected the condensor fan and went iside to find the unit working fine.
I switched from heating to cooling and the valve stuck again. I went through this process a few times with the valve sticking each time. I was persistent and the last time it worked in both heating and cooling. I may have to replace the reversing valve sometime in the near future, but for now its working great. The Moral of the Story: Don't always trust the first service tech. Get another opinion, it can save you a lot of time and money.

Last edited by Rollie; 12-13-2010 at 05:20 PM.
Rollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 05:53 PM   #2
An old Tradesmen

2.5 years old? Sounds about the right age to be one of the ones that has a recall on the RV.

Goodman had a problem with the RV not moving the whole way or at all at times.

beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 05:58 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere
2.5 years old? Sounds about the right age to be one of the ones that has a recall on the RV.

Goodman had a problem with the RV not moving the whole way or at all at times.
Yep sounds about right
Hixheat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 08:17 AM   #4

Thanks "beenthere" I didn't think about checking SR's. I found a site that had Goodman SR's and it tuns out my unit is covered by SR-036 which covers replacement of faulty "Dunan" reversing valves. This should save me lots of headaches, warranty shipping and labor charges.
THANKS AGAIN
Rollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 06:52 PM   #5
An old Tradesmen

Your welcome.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote