Goodman Heating Problem - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-07-2011, 07:40 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Goodman heating problem

I have a Goodman GMNT080-4 forced hot air system and Iím having trouble with the system starting when the temperature drops below the set temperature on the thermostat. A little history first: It wasnít running at all and I had a HVAC technician check it for me. He replaced the service switch and indicated to my wife that there might be another problem regarding a part that could eventually go bad and it could be costly. The bill was a total of $208 for a $10 part, emergency service fee and labor of $198. Three weeks later the heat shut down again. I crawled under my house for a look. In the course of my inspection I turned the fan on the air inducer motor. I then turned the thermostat on and it worked. I eventually took the air inducer off and found that the 3 screws that hold the motor were loose, causing the fan to stick. I tightened the screws and it worked fine at that time. Now I have a problem of the heat not coming on when the in-house temperature drops below the thermostat setting. I have to manually lower the thermostat set temperature below the room temp and then raise the set temperature to get it to turn on. I replaced the in-house thermostat controller, but the problem continues. My guess would be that there is some type of relay switch that may have gone bad. Iím looking for some help.

Advertisement

Eric4187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:39 PM   #2
AKA HVACTECHFW

Rewards Points: 1,104

Goodman heating problem

you need to have someone turn the thermostat up for you while you are at the furnace so you can watch the sequence of events that happen and post them here. It may take a couple of times of doing this to get all the events written down. This will help us to determine the cause of the problem.

Advertisement

Old 03-08-2011, 04:59 AM   #3
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,740

Goodman heating problem

Stop turning the thermostat down. When you notice it getting colder, go to the furnace and look for the error code. Should be a small window to look through to see it. Count the flashes, then turn off power and look at the error code legend on the inside of the blower panel.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote