Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-09-2010, 04:20 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Goodman GPG 12240701a will not ignite can light by hand

I think I posted this in the wrong forum the 1st time.
I have a Goodman GPG 12240701A a/c gas furnace. It wasn't working properly so I removed the board to inspect it and it had a black spot on the back of the circuit board that lead me to believe it was bad.
I replaced the board and now the unit will attempt to light the gas 3 times then shut down.
I checked the rollout switch, I cleaned the flame sensor and the ignitor still will not spark or get hot. I can hear a click from the board that seems as if it is signaling the ignitor but still will not light. I bought a new ignitor and still nothing happened.
I can use a lighter and ignite the gas myself and my furnace will work fine but, when it reaches the temperature that I have the thermostat set on it shuts down as it should and will not start back until I flip the breaker, run outside and light it again.

The board has an LED for error codes and its flashing 1. Which means external lockout I Believe.
I simply could not afford to pay someone to come out and look at the unit and its pretty cold here now and going in and out lighting this thing is getting tiresome.

Thanks in advance, Walnut!

walnut777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 04:51 PM   #2
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 70

The "external lockout" or limit switches are usually wired in series with the gas valve on the Goodmans and if open should not allow it to open. Sounds like you got the wiring mixed up or the wrong board. Some of them are retrofits and you have to read the wiring info that comes with it CAREFULLY to see if there are changes or adaptor cables needed. If those boards are not grounded properly or the furnace grounded properly they will get damaged/blow and your new one may be damaged.

Old 12-09-2010, 06:04 PM   #3

How many volts are going to the hot surface ignitor? Guessing you have a loose pin in the connector.
Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 06:25 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuri View Post
The "external lockout" or limit switches are usually wired in series with the gas valve on the Goodmans and if open should not allow it to open. Sounds like you got the wiring mixed up or the wrong board. Some of them are retrofits and you have to read the wiring info that comes with it CAREFULLY to see if there are changes or adaptor cables needed. If those boards are not grounded properly or the furnace grounded properly they will get damaged/blow and your new one may be damaged.
The board is exactly like the one I took out. I retraced every wire on the diagram to make sure they were all correct.

What do u mean by the board being properly grounded?
Old 12-09-2010, 06:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S. View Post
How many volts are going to the hot surface ignitor? Guessing you have a loose pin in the connector.

I cannot get any volts at all from the little black piece on the board where the ignitor plugs into. I flipped the breaker and ran outside to check for power from there while the unit tries 3 times to start but no luck on getting a reading.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:47 PM   #6
Hvac Pro

On their newer furnaces the board sits on a metal plate which mounts to the fan and that plate comes loose. If it is rusty that loses the ground path also. The board and 24 volt transformer have the secondary side of the transformer connected to that plate and grounded. Without the tstat wires attached to the board you should have continuity from the C terminal to the ground wire coming into the unit. Most newer furnaces have the secondary side of the transformer grounded. If there is no or a poor ground it is known to blow some boards circuitry.
walnut777 (12-09-2010)
Old 12-09-2010, 07:24 PM   #7

Quote:
On their newer furnaces the board sits on a metal plate which mounts to the fan and that plate comes loose. If it is rusty that loses the ground path also. The board and 24 volt transformer have the secondary side of the transformer connected to that plate and grounded. Without the tstat wires attached to the board you should have continuity from the C terminal to the ground wire coming into the unit. Most newer furnaces have the secondary side of the transformer grounded. If there is no or a poor ground it is known to blow some boards circuitry.
That may be what happened then. My board has a place for 6 screws. It only had 3 screws holding it in. 2 of the holes acts as a ground and neither 2 of them had a screw in them to help them make contact. The board still runs the A/C and the furnace works as it should but the the ignitor is still not getting any power coming to it.

Guess Ill have to buy a board. Sucks cuz I cant find one for less than 160
Old 12-09-2010, 07:26 PM   #8
Hvac Pro

C'est la vie. Most techs don't understand how important grounding is to furnaces and circuit boards.
walnut777 (12-09-2010)
Old 12-09-2010, 07:50 PM   #9

Quote:
C'est la vie. Most techs don't understand how important grounding is to furnaces and circuit boards.
I got the unit used from a licensed installer. It was 2 years old when the compressor died and the woman called him and told him the unit was broke. He installed a new compressor. The lady said she didnt trust the unit anymore since the compressor died in 2 years. He explained that the part had been replaced and was working now. She did not care and she gave him money for a new unit and told him he could have the Goodman unit that he had fixed.

He tried to sell me the unit a four years ago for 500 bucks and I didnt want it b/c I didnt want gas heat.
The 2 years ago I stopped by to see him and he was loading the unit onto his trailer and said he was gonna haul it to the scrap yard.
I asked him why he hadnt sold it by now and he said he never really advertised it. He told me if I gave him 40 bucks I could have the unit.

I bought it for 40 bucks. A year later I hooked it up. It had to have a new fan motor and a little bit of freon. It worked like a charm all spring and summer cooling my house.

Then right around the beginning of fall i heard the exhaust from the flute running. I checked my thermostat and it was on cool but the unit had kicked off b/c it had reached the right temp.

Then last week I had natural gas hooked to the unit. Turn the thermostat to heat and the draft motor would spin one revolution the stop for a few secs then spin again and so on and so on. Then my friend that sold me the unit gave me a furnace control board for free. He said it had never been used that all I had to do was put the wires back in the same order.

I never seen that the board needed to be grounded. Earlier I said it had 6 mounting holes but Im looking at the old board and it actually has 5 mounting holes and 2 are grounds. The old board only had 3 screws holding it in and I replaced them just like I had taken them out.

Man I wished I would have know about the grounds before hand. Now, I've ruined a perfectly good FREE board and now I gotta go buy one. Oh well, at least now I know and will never make the same mistake again.
Thanks alot for all your help! You've been great!
Old 12-09-2010, 07:58 PM   #10
Hvac Pro

Small consolation, but lots of people read these posts and you are possibly helping someone else out.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:43 PM   #11

I stopped by M&L mobile home supplies a local store in my town that just happens to sell Goodman parts. I saved about 60 bucks buying a new circuit board from them and the circuit board solved my problem. I made I got some extra screws to make sure the board had all 5 mounting screw and my heat is working like a charm!
Old 12-11-2010, 07:00 AM   #12
Hvac Pro

Great