Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-20-2010, 10:04 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Goodman gmp100-3 Venter fan/blower

I've been having trouble with my furnace, a Goodman GMP100-3. THe lights blinked three times, indicating a problem with he pressure switch. I checked that the vent was clear, and looked at the terminals to ensure tight connections and no corrosion. AFter a hint I found here, I applied manual suction to the pressure switch, and the igniter started to glow. So, I believe I've narrowed the problem down the the Venter/Induction fan/blower (are these synonymous? I've seen them all used to describe the blower assembly at the top of my furnace.).

My question...do I need to dig deeper to see what exactly the problem is, or do I order a whole new assembly. I'm having trouble finding the part, I'm not sure the one I've seen is quite what I need (http://store.furnacepartsource.com/dls330.html)

Is this a job I could tackle with little electrical experience, but a competent tinkerers mind?

jeditang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 12:29 PM   #2
HVAC / Plumbing

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeditang View Post
I've been having trouble with my furnace, a Goodman GMP100-3. THe lights blinked three times, indicating a problem with he pressure switch. I checked that the vent was clear, and looked at the terminals to ensure tight connections and no corrosion. AFter a hint I found here, I applied manual suction to the pressure switch, and the igniter started to glow. So, I believe I've narrowed the problem down the the Venter/Induction fan/blower (are these synonymous? I've seen them all used to describe the blower assembly at the top of my furnace.).

My question...do I need to dig deeper to see what exactly the problem is, or do I order a whole new assembly. I'm having trouble finding the part, I'm not sure the one I've seen is quite what I need (http://store.furnacepartsource.com/dls330.html)

Is this a job I could tackle with little electrical experience, but a competent tinkerers mind?

Check the small metal tube on the vent motor that the rubber hose connects to.You can clean it with a very small drill bit / wire ,etc. They will corrode sometines & stop up

kenmac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kenmac For This Useful Post:
jeditang (09-20-2010)
Old 09-20-2010, 01:33 PM   #3
HVAC / Plumbing

Also check vent for blockage
Old 09-20-2010, 06:42 PM   #4

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmac View Post
Check the small metal tube on the vent motor that the rubber hose connects to.You can clean it with a very small drill bit / wire ,etc. They will corrode sometines & stop up
Good idea, but it didn't do the trick. The blower never even starts, so I presume that it has to be the problem. However, it seems like there are two distinct parts, and I'm not sure which one needs fixed/replaced. Here's a picture.

During the summer, I found the evaporator tray overflowing due to cold water mold in the drain line. I presume that overflowing water got into the motor or blower and fried it. it's been off and clear for weeks, so I think if it just needed to dry out, it would have by now.

So should I try to test the parts with a voltmeter? I don't own one, but tis seems like a good reason to buy one and learn to use it! Or maybe just bite the bullet and buy a replacement assembly?
Old 09-20-2010, 06:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmac View Post
Also check vent for blockage
I checked all the venting to the chimney, clean as could be. I suppose it's possible to have a block in the chimney, but wouldn't the venter still kick on?
Old 09-20-2010, 07:04 PM   #6
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 2,762

Yes, the inducer would still run.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to beenthere For This Useful Post:
jeditang (09-20-2010)
Old 09-21-2010, 07:11 AM   #7
HVAC / Plumbing

you may want to check & see if you have power to the motor .. Water may have gotten on the board also
Old 09-21-2010, 09:32 AM   #8

Question

Can someone walk me through the process of doing that? I'll pick up a voltmeter today.
Old 09-21-2010, 12:35 PM   #9

I just bought a multimeter, I'm goin to try testing the motor tonight. Any help in doing so would be appreciated!
Old 09-21-2010, 12:39 PM   #10
HVAC / Plumbing

the vent motor wires plun into the circuit board. Check the terninals there as the furnace is calling for heat should be 110v ac .
The Following User Says Thank You to kenmac For This Useful Post:
jeditang (09-21-2010)
Old 11-08-2010, 10:13 AM   #11

Smile

My Goodman went this weekend when it got the coldest so far this season. I tallied to a friend who retired from hvac work and he advised that the ignitor switch was bad. I replaced it and that then got an error code, 3 blinks. I followed your guys advise on here to check and clean the vacuum line and orfice and the heat pump began working like a charm. I had made calls to several hvac companies prior to looking here and they all wanted to charge me in the neighborhood of $300 - $500. Thanks everyone for saving me all that money.
David Wilber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 07:28 PM   #12
AKA HVACTECHFW

Rewards Points: 1,002

everyone of these furnaces has a cracked heat exchanger, have it professionally checked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
hvactech126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:22 PM   #13

Lightbulb

Hey guys, I saw some activity here and wanted to wrap up my story. I had a tech come out who diagnosed a bad pressure switch. I was pretty sure this wasn't the problem because when I applied manual suction everything worked fine. I let him proceed, because he was the pro! The replacement part arrived, was installed, and still no go. The problem was in the board, which upon removal showed heavy spots of corrosion from the overflowing evaporation tray. It had been sending stuttery signals to the pressure switch, straining and eventually damaging it.

SO I now have a one year old heat exchange, a brand new board and pressure switch...should be good for a while, yeah?
Old 12-11-2011, 01:15 AM   #14

I can't believe it (well really I guess I can, it's an old unit), but my furnace is acting up again this year. It's like a holiday ritual now. Haven't started digging deep yet, but I though someone might be able to get me off to a good start after hearing the issue.

The furnace kicks on and heats a few degrees then shuts off. Thermo seems fine, checked batteries, wires, etc. I'll check the filter and interior for build up tomorrow (I'm overdue for a filter change, but only by a month or so).

Does the problem make anyone think of a component that could be causing the problem?

Old 12-11-2011, 01:26 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeditang View Post
I can't believe it (well really I guess I can, it's an old unit), but my furnace is acting up again this year. It's like a holiday ritual now. Haven't started digging deep yet, but I though someone might be able to get me off to a good start after hearing the issue.

The furnace kicks on and heats a few degrees then shuts off. Thermo seems fine, checked batteries, wires, etc. I'll check the filter and interior for build up tomorrow (I'm overdue for a filter change, but only by a month or so).

Does the problem make anyone think of a component that could be causing the problem?

chang the filter............then let us know if its still acting up

harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote